News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEC dial ring?

Started by Karen, February 09, 2012, 05:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Im totally unfamiliar with this phone. I dont think Ive even seen an "NEC" mark before.  The dial center looks a little larger than on my other phones, so I was wondering if someone could help me find the part. 

LarryInMichigan

That is a Japanese #4 phone.  They were made by a number of manufacturers, including NEC.  These phones are not very command here, so finding a dial center ring may be a challenge.

Larry

Karen

Larry... what does NEC stand for anyway?

LarryInMichigan

I believe that NEC stood for Nipon Electric Company.  It is a huge Japanese electronics manufacturer.  I have the same phone, but mine was made by Oki.  They are really cute phones.  Much of the design was stolen from Automatic Electric.

Larry

twocvbloke

The only NEC phones I have are a couple of NEC DB2000 mobile phones, very reliable, one's NIB, the other was NIB but I wanted to use it... :D

Greg G.

On my Type 3, there is a retainer ring for the dial card and cellophane cover on the inside of the dial:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Karen

Brinybay: On the inside of your dial?  I have nothing. Just the hole and a screw.

I wonder why all these older phones have the missing ring and card.  Its hard to find one that actually still has the dial ring anymore. 

Well.. if anyone comes across this part, let me know! 

Greg G.

Quote from: gymcrackery on February 10, 2012, 12:44:50 AM
Brinybay: On the inside of your dial?  I have nothing. Just the hole and a screw.

I wonder why all these older phones have the missing ring and card.  Its hard to find one that actually still has the dial ring anymore.  

Well.. if anyone comes across this part, let me know!  

I meant on the inside of the ring on the outer part of the finger wheel.  The dial card and cover goes on first, then the retainer ring.  You can see it in the second picture, silver colored ring with the break below the 1.  Of all the pictures I have of this phone, I don't have any showing the dial w/o the dial card.  I'm in the middle of moving, when I bring my tools over I'll get a pic of the finger wheel w/o the dial card on for comparison.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

wds

I've been looking at those two pictures, and both of the handsets sure look like leich handsets.  Actually, the second one looks more like a WE E-1.  Are those handsets in fact NEC or have they been replaced in favor of leich handsets?
Dave

G-Man

Quote from: gymcrackery on February 09, 2012, 09:16:35 PM
Larry... what does NEC stand for anyway?

"Nippon Electric Company, Ltd. was established in Tokyo, Japan in 1899 with Western Electric Company of the United States to become the first Japanese joint venture with foreign capital. Nippon Electric Company, Limited officially became NEC Corporation in 1983."

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on February 10, 2012, 11:14:37 AM
I've been looking at those two pictures, and both of the handsets sure look like leich handsets.  Actually, the second one looks more like a WE E-1.  Are those handsets in fact NEC or have they been replaced in favor of leich handsets?

Mine is genuine NEC.
- Mike Row
e