News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

49 Galion

Started by jeremylivin, February 26, 2010, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

For those that haven't heard one, I have a Galion Ringer Wav that I'll attach.  I recorded it from a Galion that I refurbished.  Doug, it probably sounds just like yours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Galion Ringer.wav (1550.37 KB - downloaded 4 times.)

Dennis...you are correct...mine sound just like that. Thanks to all for the great information on this....Doug

Kidphone

dsk

I have an Analog Telphone Adapter (PAP2T) connected to C*NET, and may set the ringing frequency to whatever I want. Together with a dialgizmo "all" the problems should be solved.

dsk

jeremylivin

So what does a frequency ringer sound like?
Jeremy Livingston

Phonesrfun

Pretty much the same as a straight line ringer.  Just that the hammer strikes the gongs at a frequency other than 20 hits per second.  For instance 33 hits per second or 50 or 30 or one of several other different frequencies. 

I am sure there was some discernable difference, but probably not to the casual listener.  These were so long ago in the past that I personally was not aware when growing up of the difference in sound.

The resonant sound the gongs made as a result of being struck was the same since they generally used the same gongs in both straight-line and frequency ringers.  The only difference there being that different manufacturers had their own favorite resonant frequencies.  Most people would say that the Bell System C4 ringer commonly found in the 500 and 2500's has the best sounding resonant ring of all the ringers ever made.  That may be a topic for further discussion, but that also happens to be my opinion too.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Netdewt

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 26, 2010, 12:37:11 PM
I have one from 1955, with a North dial and a frequency ringer. Bakelite in pristine condition. I think I paid about $80 for it. But this one has an interesting dial from 1949. Probably worth more than that.

However, by looking in thrift and antique shops, you could easily bag a bargain that needs little work and could be a learning experience. 

When did they have that dial? I like it. Did 302s ever have a dial like this?