News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

another lucky bidder.....was it you?

Started by Babybearjs, January 27, 2016, 03:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

had a bid in for a WE 307A and lost it by $1.00! anyway, here are some pictures of the phone as they showed up on ebay... wonder who the lucky person was who got it?   was it you??
John

wds

Here's another phone that went quick.  I couldn't decide whether or not to buy it - was this a good deal?  It almost looks like a gray phone.  It sold minutes after it was listed.  $35 including shipping.  Should I kick myself for not buying it?

kellogg DK500
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

I'd guess that the 307 winner had a snipe, because sniper programs usually succeed the previous bid usually by a dollar exactly.

That Banjo was a very nice steal! I wonder who got it?

I once saw an Ivory two-tone Banjo on eBay for $35. I passed, and kind of regret it ever since.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 27, 2016, 06:06:19 PM
I'd guess that the 307 winner had a snipe, because sniper programs usually succeed the previous bid usually by a dollar exactly.

Nothing to do with sniping. Depending on what country you're in, between 0 and $20, all bids increment by 50c. From $20 to $100, all bids increment by $1. then $2.50 etc.

You only know if you *just* won if your bid is less than the current increment above the previous bid.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 27, 2016, 06:29:50 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 27, 2016, 06:06:19 PM

Nothing to do with sniping. Depending on what country you're in, between 0 and $20, all bids increment by 50c. From $20 to $100, all bids increment by $1. then $2.50 etc.

You only know if you *just* won if your bid is less than the current increment above the previous bid.

Jack

Oh, okay. The point is, he wouldn't have won if he entered a dollar higher; the winner's max bid was probably much higher than the price he won it for.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on January 27, 2016, 05:33:35 PM
Here's another phone that went quick.  I couldn't decide whether or not to buy it - was this a good deal?  It almost looks like a gray phone.  It sold minutes after it was listed.  $35 including shipping.  Should I kick myself for not buying it?

kellogg DK500

Ask Dennis...he loves the Kellogg banjos. My guess is it is a $200 phone, Dennis will know....Doug
Kidphone

jsowers

That Banjo is dark beige, sometimes called Rose Beige and yes, it was a bargain. It has a brass strip on the front dated April, 1958 which is good in that it dates the phone but bad in that it put two holes in the housing and the brass needs to be refinished. Dennis will know about what it's worth and he's probably wishing he had found it first.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

I do like the Banjo phones and now have a few colors in my collection.  I would have loved to have added this one too but I was not the lucky person that happened upon the Buy It Now.  I know who did buy it though but I will let that lucky person spill the beans.

As far as value, I just haven't seen them sell very often.  The only way to really find out is to spruce up a nice one and throw it on eBay.  But like Doug said, I would think at least $200.  I have a Green one that some previous owner pop-riveted a modular jack in the side of the housing.  Were it not for that it is a beautiful example.  They are rare indeed (in color).

~Dennis

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on January 27, 2016, 05:33:35 PM

kellogg DK500

I now confess.  I bought the rose beige Kellogg.  There is a brief post about it here: forum link.

Larry