News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 J/K that made it through refurb in the mid-sixties

Started by RotarDad, February 29, 2016, 12:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

This is an interesting one.  Many here have noted the extent to which Bell recycled phones.  This one was obviously refurbed in the mid-60s or later based on the round feet, but the shop kept the 425A net, despite the lack of equalizer in the J/K models.   I don't think I've seen a J/K where they changed the feet but not the network.  I guess anything could happen in the refurb shop......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131737168849
( dead link 09-12-21 )
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a T that was refurbed in '56, and everything has been changed out (including the network) except for the terminal strip and base. I have no idea why someone went to the trouble of removing the 425A in favor of a 425B (involves drilling the rivets out for the network and re-riveting a new one on place) and then keep the terminal strip and leave it hooked up to the network!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 29, 2016, 09:19:42 AM
I have a T that was refurbed in '56, and everything has been changed out (including the network) except for the terminal strip and base. I have no idea why someone went to the trouble of removing the 425A in favor of a 425B (involves drilling the rivets out for the network and re-riveting a new one on place) and then keep the terminal strip and leave it hooked up to the network!!

Did they leave the original line switch (hookswitch)? If so, is it possible that the line switch leads were already soldered to the terminal strip, and too short to reach the 425B network?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.