"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early AE- 80 Dial

Started by stub, February 12, 2011, 03:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi,
     I have a AE- 80 that has a different dial face plate than I have seen.This dial looks like a type 51. Does anyone  know what year this was used?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Hi Ken:

As far as I know that is the first dial arrangement for the AE 80. They show up on ebaY occasionally. Lately I've seen a black AE 80 on ebaY repeatedly that has that sort of number ring on a 3 inch dial from an AE 40/50.

The base markings also add up as being a 1950's AE80.

Oh I just realised that this is the two-tone set you just bought? Another indicatiion that it is a very early AE80 telephone set. 1956 or 1957 (ish)

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Yeah , I saw one with the finger wheel gone and offered 35 for it but it was refused. I can't seem to find it again. My 57 has the other single plate.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Here's a current ebaY listing of a January 1958 magazine advertisement showing the available AE colors. Two tones had given way to full color sets by then. Also, dark blue has already exited but gray remained for several more years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-General-Telephone-Rotary-dial-phone-GTE-January-Ad-/150556878245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230de3a5a5

Are you saying that the conventional one piece number plate you posted the picture of above is on a marked 1957 AE 80? I really don't know how long they made the dial number plates this way but considering how few are seen it must not have been for very long. The AE 80 was introduced late 1954 I believe.

Terry