"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's Surprise!

Started by DavePEI, October 09, 2014, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi All:

I got a phone call from fiends of ours who have a scrapping business asking me if I might be interested in another booth! Of course, I answered in the affirmative and half an hour later, their truck appeared in our driveway...

Loaded in the back was a Benner Nawman Canada, made in Calgary in 1990 BN75000A-R2-32-C booth and pedestal.

I bought it from them for juist slightlu over the scrap price - Shown below:

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Cool. It's good to have friends who remember your phone obsession....... Uhhh hobby!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ESalter

Very cool Dave!  I have a Qwest version of that enclosure.  It used to be a WE Bell System branded one, but was sent in and refurbished and came out with Qwest signage and all the aluminum parts are painted gray.  Anyway, it's the same thing, so if you need any photos or measurements of anything, just let me know(I mention this because I see the light cover is MIA).  How is the footpad on the pedestal?  Lots of times the steel ones rot away pretty bad.

---Eric

DavePEI

Quote from: ESalter on October 09, 2014, 08:27:53 PM
Very cool Dave!  I have a Qwest version of that enclosure.  It used to be a WE Bell System branded one, but was sent in and refurbished and came out with Qwest signage and all the aluminum parts are painted gray.  Anyway, it's the same thing, so if you need any photos or measurements of anything, just let me know(I mention this because I see the light cover is MIA).  How is the footpad on the pedestal?  Lots of times the steel ones rot away pretty bad.

---Eric

Hi Eric:

The pedestal base is in good shape. The pedestal face plate is MIA, but not a big deal to replace. Yes, the light cover and circline lamp are also missing but not a big deal to rewire it and use a 4 watt bulb and socket. Other than that, the paint is good, and it will look great on display...

Speaking of rust, Eric - what looks like rust on the inside of the pedestal, is in reality, good old red PEI dirt! A hose to it it will be gone. The only rust is a little bit of surface rust at the welds.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Not even much aluminum in those models. We had some BN booths and, pedestals and shelfs here but mainly ADCO and JARO products in BC. I never did sort out all the different models numbers for the miriad of different BN products. Every once in awhile I would come across a BN product in the field and then have to figure out what it was if trying to order parts for them.

I made keeping the  booths and pedestals lit up at night my mission in life. We were paying someone for the electricity and it amazed me how many were permanently dark. When I worked evening shift that would be a good opportunity to watch for the dark booths in my travels and either try to fix then then or make a note for when I had nothing to do once back on day shift and then try to get the lights working.

Of course burnt out bulbs was the most common casue but beyond that anything could be wrong!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: ESalter on October 09, 2014, 08:27:53 PM

---Eric

Hi Eric: After a few days with a flu like illness, I am ready to get back ay this. I had Linda wash off the layer of PEI dirt inside it yesterday for me.

Do you have the measurement for the light cover? Also, on the original, is it frosted or clear... I intend to make the new cover using lucite or similar and probably just screw it into the booth top/ Rather than search for the original circline bulb, . (unless I can find a spare circline I had a few years ago - this saves fiddling with ballasts) I will likely take a 4 watt appliance bulb and socket and mount it inside the light box -

Of course, I will have to cut a new front for the pedestal. Any chance you might have a practice for this one?

Thanks, Dave 
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

Hi Dave-

Its very possible I might have some documentation on it.  Give me a day or two to look.  I'll take some photos and measurements of my enclosure and it's light cover later today for you.

---Eric

ESalter

Hi Dave-

You lucked out.  I have a stack of a dozen or so three ring binders of payphone enclosure documentation.  Most are at the museum but I had a couple of them here at home, the B-N binder is one of them I had at home.  Sadly, I don't have very good drawings of the 7500 enclosures or any B-N pedestals.  Here are copies of the relevant pages I have though.  I didn't have time to scan them, just took photos of the pages.  If you want good scans, I can do that a little later.  The ADCO binder has very good drawings of all the enclosures, I was hoping to find documentation like that, but no such luck.  I'll have the light cover measurements for you tonight!

---Eric

DavePEI

Quote from: ESalter on October 14, 2014, 01:02:28 PM
Hi Dave-

You lucked out.  I have a stack of a dozen or so three ring binders of payphone enclosure documentation.  Most are at the museum but I had a couple of them here at home, the B-N binder is one of them I had at home.  Sadly, I don't have very good drawings of the 7500 enclosures or any B-N pedestals.  Here are copies of the relevant pages I have though.  I didn't have time to scan them, just took photos of the pages.  If you want good scans, I can do that a little later.  The ADCO binder has very good drawings of all the enclosures, I was hoping to find documentation like that, but no such luck.  I'll have the light cover measurements for you tonight!

---Eric
Hi Eric:

Thank you so much! Years ago I set up a bookmrk directory for ADCO, JARO and BN booth here on this computer (or at least on its pre-decessor, but did copy it over to this machine. I know on their site as it was at that time included this booth,but now they have dropped the manufacture of all booths. How I wish I had saved the actual files rather than just the links!

SO thank you so much for these. I am sure they will be a help. I do like having the documents for things in the collection, too for future reference.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

I'm sorry it took me so long to get these photos taken and posted, but things have been pretty busy and this thing was a lot more buried than I remembered it being!  Anyway, here's what it looks like.  The textured side of the light cover is down, it looks very similar to diffusers I've seen on bathroom light fixtures.  It measures 19 7/8 X 9 3/4.  Hopefully this helps!

---Eric

DavePEI

Quote from: ESalter on October 21, 2014, 05:33:09 PM
I'm sorry it took me so long to get these photos taken and posted, but things have been pretty busy and this thing was a lot more buried than I remembered it being!  Anyway, here's what it looks like.  The textured side of the light cover is down, it looks very similar to diffusers I've seen on bathroom light fixtures.  It measures 19 7/8 X 9 3/4.  Hopefully this helps!

---Eric
Hi Eric:

Pretty much like I was envisioning... Now if only I would get some time and health good enough to work on it!

Thanks,

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001