News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Wood Wall Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 05, 2011, 10:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I noticed this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320653274443 on ebay tonight, and I couldn't resist it.  The price seemed fairly cheap, and shipping was only $6.80.  I am not quite sure just what it is or how original it is though.  Does anyone know what the model and/or the approximate year?

Thank You

Larry

stub

Larry,
         Nice phone . Looks like the induction coil might have a problem, hope not. All the pics I have seen on this phone list it as a Type 1908.  I have one that has a mercedes type 11 dial( 1911 ) in it and a induction coil receiver.
         Maybe Terry can tell us more about it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

stub,

I think you are right.  The inductor does look like it has an issue.  Hopefully, Steve Hilsz or someone will have a spare.

Larry

Jim Stettler

This phone should have the mercedes dial. This model never brings the value of the mercedes, so people swap the dials before they sell them.

Jim

I have one of these w/ a mercedes dial stash away. I would sell or trade i
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on February 05, 2011, 11:25:44 PM
Larry,
         Nice phone . Looks like the induction coil might have a problem, hope not. All the pics I have seen on this phone list it as a Type 1908.  I have one that has a mercedes type 11 dial( 1911 ) in it and a induction coil receiver.
         Maybe Terry can tell us more about it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.   stub

I was hoping someone else would answer before I attempted to! I have a pretty good handle on everything AE from the #1 (1926) up but everything prior to that I am real fuzzy about. My assumption would be that this would have had a mercedes dial (or maybe even a sunburst dial) which would put it soon after the Strowger 11 digit phones (1905).

Stub: Have you seen paperwork referring to these as model 1908's? AE really managed to confuse things back then. There model numbers did seem to pretty much follow the year at times but then it seems like they "started over" with the #1 in 1926, then the #2 in 1928 etc. Before long they were back on track though with the 34, 35, and 40being introduced roughly in those years. I'd like to get a handle on the models and numbers prior to the number 1, for example the stairstep candlestick. Any idea what it is called number wise?

I agree with Jim, you see these phones on ebaY going for relatively low prices, sometimes even WITH a merceded dial in them. What do you have Jim? Similar phone with a Mercedes or just the Mercedes dial?

Terry

stub

Terry,
         I haven't  seen any paperwork on the early phones .  Does anyone out there have any paperwork that they would like to share on these early AE phones , earlier than 1925 ?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

stub

Terry,
             ??? ??? ??? :o :o ;D ;D ;D it's late!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Mine is basically the same phone (black) with a mercedes dial. (the door may be cracked?)
I have probably seen 6 of these over the years, always black, 4 w/ mercedes dials, 1 w a replaced dial and the other complete except for dial.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The fact that these typically sell for less than the dial makes them sell for up to dial value. To get anymore out of them you need to sell the dial seperate.

Typically you can sell a Mercedes dial for more than this phone with a Mercedes dial
(Huh?, that don't make sense).
----------------------------------------------------------
I have been in this discussion at a more than 1 show.

My phone is packed away , maybe someone can post a photo of this phone w/ the Mercedes, or at least a photo of a Mercedes dial.
Jim
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  The dial is obviously not the original, nor are the condensers.  I connected it to my line, and it does more or less work.  One of the wood end pieces of the inductor coil had separated from the core, but the wires were not broken.  I managed to push it most of the way back on.  The transmitter says "type 6C".  The sound from the transmitter is rather weak.  The receiver is in good shape.

Unless someone wants to send me a mercedes dial, I would like to figure out how to secure the dial it has to the case better.  There is a screw holding the bottom of the dial, but nothing is attached to the other two screw holes.  How are they supposed to be attached?

I probably didn't get the deal of the century, but I expect that the parts are worth more than I paid.  The receiver alone is probably worth $30 or more.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

For whatever it's worth, the diagram on the inside of the door show "CKT. 17703".

Larry

stub

Larry,
         Here's how my dial is attached.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ae_collector on February 06, 2011, 12:53:29 AM
Quote from: stub1953 on February 05, 2011, 11:25:44 PM
Larry,
          Nice phone . Looks like the induction coil might have a problem, hope not. All the pics I have seen on this phone list it as a Type 1908.  I have one that has a mercedes type 11 dial( 1911 ) in it and a induction coil receiver.
         Maybe Terry can tell us more about it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.   stub

I was hoping someone else would answer before I attempted to! I have a pretty good handle on everything AE from the #1 (1926) up but everything prior to that I am real fuzzy about. My assumption would be that this would have had a mercedes dial (or maybe even a sunburst dial) which would put it soon after the Strowger 11 digit phones (1905).

Stub: Have you seen paperwork referring to these as model 1908's? AE really managed to confuse things back then. There model numbers did seem to pretty much follow the year at times but then it seems like they "started over" with the #1 in 1926, then the #2 in 1928 etc. Before long they were back on track though with the 34, 35, and 40being introduced roughly in those years. I'd like to get a handle on the models and numbers prior to the number 1, for example the stairstep candlestick. Any idea what it is called number wise?

I agree with Jim, you see these phones on ebaY going for relatively low prices, sometimes even WITH a merceded dial in them. What do you have Jim? Similar phone with a Mercedes or just the Mercedes dial?

Terry
\

Same phone with proper Mercedes dial.
Jim
You live, You learn,

stub

Larry,
         Did you ever fix up this phone ? If you didn't and want to sell parts let me know. Thanks  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

stub,

I haven't done anything with the phone yet.  I am waiting for a proper dial, some time, and warm weather so I can work on it outside.  I don't think that I want to sell it just yet, but I might be persuaded to trade it for something.

Larry