News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unable to locate parts for WE 554 AB

Started by Bill Cahill, October 01, 2008, 09:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

I've been to both parts websites looking all over the place. No go.  ???
One mentions, and, shows some parts for WE 500 series, but, they are earlier parts. Mine is the 70's version.
I contacted one of them, but, they are not answering my e mails.
Does anybody have parts for these??
I need the transmitter cap, for starters.....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Bill,

Tell me specifically what you need.  I'm sure I have something that will help you out.  You can list it here or send me a personal message.  You need a transmitter cap for which handset, the G3, if so what color?  G1?? 

Dennis

benhutcherson

Bill,
Just so that you know, save for the shell and the base, pretty much every part is interchangeable between a 500 and a 554.

Bill Cahill

Actually, my bakelite 500 transmitter cover is deeper, and, has more rounded edges.
My plastic 554 transmitter cover is not as deep, and, edges are slighly sharper.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

Quote from: benhutcherson on October 01, 2008, 12:36:54 PM
Bill,
Just so that you know, save for the shell and the base, pretty much every part is interchangeable between a 500 and a 554.

I think I said it wrong. I appreciate your help very much. For some reason, my 50's receiver is somewhat different from the other receiver.
I hope that you can help me learn the differences.
I really appreciate all your help.
Thanks.
Bill Cahill

benhutcherson

Bill,
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

For any given year of production, the parts like the dial, ringer, and handset were 100% identical. In fact, I have a couple of boxed NOS receivers, and they all simply specify the receiver model(G3, G15, etc) and color, while making no mention whatsoever of whether they were intended for a 500 or 554.

You are, however, correct that there were some significant differences in handset and cap style over the years. In the early 1960s, the design of the handset caps changed significantly. The most significant change was the addition of a hole to the center of each cap. There were G3 handsets which had 6-hole receiver caps, and I believe that the change happened after G1 handsets were completely phased out. \\

Bill Cahill

Thanks. Would you have these parts that are from 60's in stock? Would you be interested in selling?
I'd like to get that phone running again.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Bill Cahill

benhutcherson

Bill,
Unfortunately, every black phone I own(with the exception of one 554) has a G-1 handset. I'm afraid I don't have any spare '60s era black thermoplastic  handset caps.

I do have a local contact, though, who might have some. I'll check with him this weekend, and let you know if I turn up anything.

Dennis Markham

Bill,

Maybe you didn't see my message above as I didn't hear back from you.  I have lots of spare handsets.  I am getting the idea that you need handset caps for a G3, plastic handset.  In black?  If you will provide me with a list of the parts you need I'm sure I can help you.
Dennis

Bill Cahill

;D He's my man!!! I'll pm you with a list of parts needed. Thanks.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Dennis, and, everyone else,
Thanks for your help.
Dennis, I'll get a pp payment out to you soon.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

:o Oh, oh!!!
I got a mystery free modern desk rotary phone in the mail today. It works great. I tried it.
I tried putting mouth piece on the receiver with the wall phone.
NO FIT!!!
I looked at that hand set. The transmitter element says AE 81!!!!
Someone did the old switcheroo.
Now, what do I do??
Bill Cahill