"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 piece payphone question/wiring

Started by ffontana, January 15, 2017, 02:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffontana

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2 piece payphone.  It may be a combination of 2 different phones.

When I remove the front speaker/dial box and reveal the inside, there is a number "195-HX".

I believe this corresponds to a 1 piece receiver phone.  This phone has the separate receiver and speaker.

The front seams to mount perfectly onto the base portion.
The instruction card is English/french so it is probably a Canadian phone.

I do not think the receiver is wired correctly to the inside.

Is anyone familiar with this phone?
Is there a link to a wiring schematic?

Above the coin exchange is 'western electric' but on the back of the speaker is 'Northern Electric Company Limited.

I have pictures if needed.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Victor Laszlo

Just so you can understand the diagrams when you find them, the speaker is called a "transmitter," the dial box is called the "upper housing,"  the rear, main part of the phone is called the "lower housing" the place where coins are inserted is called the "coin gauge" and the schematics are called "practices."

Here

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_details/2275-coin-collectors-we230685b-tl

are some practices that will help you get an idea about how these phones work. It is always suggested to check out the fine library that the TCI has created for us.

RotarDad

Please do post pics of the outside and inside.  It will be much easier to see what you have with some pics.  There are many third-party refurbished, and home-brew payphones out there that won't match any wiring diagram.....
Paul

ffontana

Hello again,

I have attached photos of the payphone in question.
Not really too worried if it is not original or if it is built from a couple different phones but I would like to get it functioning.

I appreciate all info and input.

Thank you,

ffontana

I will try to attach photos again......

ffontana

again

ffontana

poplar1

On an original 195-type phone, the line would connect to R and Y terminals on the switchhook pile-up.

Originally, this phone had an F-type handset. Thus, whoever modified the phone had to make some kind of wiring changes in order to connect the transmitter (now mounted on the front of the phone).

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nick in Manitou

I had a similar phone...modified from a more recent phone to look like an older one. 

Not being too much of a purist, I loved it.

Nick

ffontana

It does appear I stumbled into a bit of a mess with this phone.

Should I search "195-HX"? Western Electric Pay Station? Can I verify the upper housing is Western Electric or Northern Electric?
It is possible that just the transmitter is Northern Electric and the upper housing is Western Electric.

I see further issues with the transmitter (see pic).  Probably a modern transmitter stuck inside the housing?
There does not appear to be a method of connecting the speaker to the 2 wires (no tabs, screws, etc.)

poplar1

195-HX is a Northern Electric model with an F1 handset.

The original handset and switch hook were removed. The transmitter, receiver, and brass switch hook (for holding the receiver) have have been added.

Also, the insides of this added transmitter were replaced with a modern T1 transmitter unit. The wires were soldered to the 2 metal rings shown in the photo. Those rings snap on the back of the T1.

It would not require many parts to restore it to its original configuration with an F1 handset.

poplar1

Quote from: ffontana on January 18, 2017, 08:32:31 AM

Should I search "195-HX"? Western Electric Pay Station? Can I verify the upper housing is Western Electric or Northern Electric?
It is possible that just the transmitter is Northern Electric and the upper housing is Western Electric.
There should be a part number or model number (and date) stamped on the inside wall of the upper housing. Look near the top. There should also be a part number on the upper right corner of the stainless steel coin chute.

ffontana

Thank you so much for the information.
We sure would like to get this functioning as a 2 piece unit if possible.

I can attach the transmitter wires.

The issues are the lower housing wiring.  The receiver was wired directly to the two terminals that had the land line wires.  This is probably not correct.

I have attached a pic of the wiring.  I removed the receiver wiring.  The red and green are to the land line (this is how it was wired when received).

Thank you for the help,

ffontana

There is a number shown on the coin chute (P-339527).

I do not see a date on the housing.  I will need to remove the dial and lube/clean as it sticks now.

I attached a pic of the upper housing wiring.

Thank you for your help.