News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone Oven

Started by ....., April 26, 2015, 07:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up a small convection oven from a local thrift last week. My wife is happy that I won't be using her oven now.
I paid a whopping $4.00 for it, but it will work for what I need it for. I'll use it in garage so the smell of drying paint is outside.

HarrySmith

Cool! Great idea! I cooked one phone case and was promptly ejected from the kitchen forever!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 26, 2015, 10:41:12 AM
Cool! Great idea! I cooked one phone case and was promptly ejected from the kitchen forever!!

Did you set off the smoke detector?   ;)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1351.msg111328#msg111328

HarrySmith

Nah, never had a chance to get that far, I was forced to remove it from the house immediately, "Get that smelly thing out of here! NOW!"
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

At what temperature will a thermoplastic phone get damaged? When using an oven for drying a painted phone, what is the ideal temperature for metal & thermoplastic housings, and for how long?

Doug

Sargeguy

I use it on warm, about 170 degrees, and leave them in for 15 minutes for loosening Bakelite and removing thermoplastic shells that have shrunk, dials from thermoplastic shells etc. DON"T FORGET TO SET THE TIMER!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Autonut on April 26, 2015, 07:37:30 AM
I picked up a small convection oven from a local thrift last week. My wife is happy that I won't be using her oven now.
I paid a whopping $4.00 for it, but it will work for what I need it for. I'll use it in garage so the smell of drying paint is outside.

That's what you call a "toaster phone"!  ::)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 26, 2015, 06:30:59 PM
I use it on warm, about 170 degrees, and leave them in for 15 minutes for loosening Bakelite and removing thermoplastic shells that have shrunk, dials from thermoplastic shells etc. DON"T FORGET TO SET THE TIMER!!!

So I guess the next question would be, Do you run it on Bake , Broil or Convection? There's also a rotisserie with this oven. Maybe it could be used to recondition the coiled cords. Wrap them around a small pipe and attach it to the rotisserie and turn it on. The possibilities could be endless.  ;D