News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Baird Midgetphone advice

Started by allnumbedup, May 06, 2023, 01:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I found this Baird Midgetphone which appears to be complete and original. I am not interested in restoring this for myself but would be willing to pick it up for resale.  I think it has a few very nice features---great looking magneto, beveled transmitter, quircky 'small' size. The spit cup doesn't/no longer fits.  The receiver was on a shelve on the other side of the store, is unmarked and probably belongs to this phone.  It is in a local antique store with the owner asking $175 but I could probably do better when he gets back from vacation next week. Any advice here if I should I snatch it up? thank you JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

allnumbedup

I didn't get much feedback on this Baird Midget phone but went back to the store anyway.  I negotiated a lower price and the owner threw in this two boxer glass front Chicago wall phone (code 151 in the catalog), a Chicago extension ringer, an Ericson french-style heavy nickel handset rest plus the Baird.  I couldn't pass on his offer even though I think these will need some work by me before I resell them on ebay to justify shipping. The picture really shows why the Baird is a 'midget' in comparison to the two boxer. The Chicago phone has what I guess is its lightening arrestor on the top box but a beat up battery box. Both Chicago plates are embossed and list Elkhart,Indiana so neither is very very early. I am not sure which phone the cast rubber receiver goes to now that I found another period phone in the same shop, and the mouth piece I think is a WE one that fits neither transmitter. I also wonder if the magneto in the Chicago phone marked "A/S" and not Chicago is original, or if the French style handset is old or 1960's.  If anyone wants to make me an offer on any of these phones or wants more pictures, PM. They currently live in Winston Salem NC 27104 but I will be traveling next month to northern Fla and working nearer to I-95 in NC ongoing if you are traveling South or North past me in the upcoming months like to phone shows.
Analog Phones for a Digital World