News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones aboard the U. S. S. Arizona inside the wreck

Started by davidbholcomb, February 17, 2013, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbholcomb

I came across this video today of the U. S. S. Arizona. The National Park Service, National Geographic, and several other agencies are working on the wreck to help preserve it. These Telephones are seen in the wreck. A sound powered phone in the officers quarters and a dial telephone in an undisclosed location. Here is a link to the full YouTube video. CLICK HERE
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

AE_Collector

The first one certainly looks as though it could be an AE 2 and the AE 2 had only existed for maybe 13 years when the Arizona went to the bottom. A dial phone onboard hints at a Strowger Exchange onboard as well. I wouldn't want to try to get that working again now however!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 17, 2013, 09:53:10 PMI wouldn't want to try to get tat working again now.

Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't want to try and revive one that's been underwater for years either... :D

Phonesrfun

Being that the USS Arizona is a National memorial, and final resting place of 1102 sailors, it is not too likely anyone will be salvaging those phones any time soon.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

G-Man

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 18, 2013, 12:13:58 AM
Being that the USS Arizona is a National memorial, and final resting place of 1102 sailors, it is not too likely anyone will be salvaging those phones any time soon.

Amen to that Bill!
Collecting is one thing but the line must be drawn at grave-robbing!
R.I.P. to the 1,100 souls held in their watery grave!

Dan/Panther

How sad, that same, respect was not shown the TITANIC. Over 1500 dead there.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

I suppose I should ask, given how us brits tend not to get taught about US Naval history, what happened to the Arizona? I'm guessing that it must have been something pretty bad for so many people to have lost their lives when going down with the ship? ???

Russ Kirk

The US Arizona sunk when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor

4 battleships sunk
3 battleships damaged
1 battleship grounded
2 other ships sunk
3 cruisers damaged
3 destroyers damaged
3 other ships damaged
188 aircraft destroyed
159 aircraft damaged
2,402 killed
1,247 wounded
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 17, 2013, 09:53:10 PM
The first one certainly looks as though it could be an AE 2 and the AE 2 had only existed for maybe 13 years when the Arizona went to the bottom. A dial phone inboard hintsat a Stronger Exchange inboard as well. I wouldn't want to try to get tat working again now.

Terry
Terry...an AE2 was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. What else could it be? Talk about a fragile phone in a rough environment....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 18, 2013, 02:25:45 PM
The US Arizona sunk when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor

Ah, I think we glossed over Pearl Harbour when we were doing WWII in history classes at school, just that the attack brought Japan into the war, rather than detailing which ships were destroyed... :-\

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 18, 2013, 03:11:29 PM
What else could it be? Talk about a fragile phone in a rough environment....Doug

There is that Bell Antwerp phone that looks somewhat the same but this one looks AE enough to me AND it isn't going to be a European phone on this ship. None of the cradle ears got broken off on Decemebr 7th, 1941 on this one but send it by USPS and it won't likely fare as well.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 18, 2013, 03:51:31 PM
just that the attack brought Japan into the war, rather than detailing which ships were destroyed... :-\

It brought the USA into the war as well. You guys and us (Canada) had been at war for two years by then but with Pearl Harbor the USA had enough and got involved.

Terry

Dan/Panther

twocvbloke;
Did you hear about the rag tag group of colonists, that started a war in the later part of the 1700's. ;D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 18, 2013, 09:26:05 PM
twocvbloke;
Did you hear about the rag tag group of colonists, that started a war in the later part of the 1700's. ;D
D/P

Something about an argument over making the world's largest cup of tea for a party? :D