SA 14: WE 1950 Red 305G Special Contest - Ended 11-20-15

Started by TelePlay, November 15, 2015, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Partyline4

$495

Don't think he'll get a bite at the $1200.

His reserve is probably in the mid to upper $500 range.

Don't understand why he hasn't tested the phone. I think that may hurt him in the long run.

Partyline4

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 11:38:33 AM
The seller told me that the housing is marked H1 with a circle and a three-bars symbol.  This confirms my evaluation. The telephone company simply drilled out the key position in a 302 housing, attached the key designation plate, and put it on a 305 base transferring the hookswitch assembly, rather than installing the correct one. The original 302 had a red-stripe ringer which was not present on the 305, another mismatch.

Perhaps it wasn't even the telephone company, but the previous owner, 30 years ago.

You're figuring it all out piece by piece. You think all that will hurt the final price?

unbeldi

Quote from: Partyline4 on November 18, 2015, 03:11:59 PM
The seller told me that the housing is marked H1 with a circle and a three-bars symbol.  This confirms my evaluation. The telephone company simply drilled out the key position in a 302 housing, attached the key designation plate, and put it on a 305 base transferring the hookswitch assembly, rather than installing the correct one. The original 302 had a red-stripe ringer which was not present on the 305, another mismatch.

Perhaps it wasn't even the telephone company, but the previous owner, 30 years ago.

You're figuring it all out piece by piece. You think all that will hurt the final price?
Probably not.
Even knowing what happened to the phone, it's still worth something, great condition, new looking cords...  Many phony phones pull big sums, not unusual at all.

The seller didn't disclose any of it, and claims no knowledge.  Often when a seller get's more information they update the ad.
I believe the only people that could figure out the history of this piece are on this forum, or read the forum, but most with potential interest are not. When prices go high, it's often not because of 'value', but because of ego and emotion of a couple of people. 

Partyline4

Quote from: unbeldi on November 18, 2015, 03:34:49 PM
Quote from: Partyline4 on November 18, 2015, 03:11:59 PM

Probably not.
Even knowing what happened to the phone, it's still worth something, great condition, new looking cords...  Many phony phones pull big sums, not unusual at all.

The seller didn't disclose any of it, and claims no knowledge.  Often when a seller get's more information they update the ad.
I believe the only people that could figure out the history of this piece are on this forum, or read the forum, but most with potential interest are not. When prices go high, it's often not because of 'value', but because of ego and emotion of a couple of people. 

I can agree with that. Doing business on eBay myself, I can say I love it when that "ego and emotion" come into play!
I know he's checking that phone every half hour and crossing his fingers!

Yee Hee!

TelePlay

The winner of this Special Auction Contest is tallguy58 who with the 5th guess of the contest offered a winning guess of $620.00 to get his second win in the Special Auction Contest Standings. The item did not sell in that the reserve (whatever it was and it was indeed quite high) was not met. The high bid, which was also the first, the one and the only bid was $612.85 by e***r ( 3307 ). The bid was a last second snipe placed 4 seconds before the auction ended and was high enough to exceed another last second snipe placed 3 seconds before the auction ended. Once again, an auction ended with the seller winning the phone, thanks to his high reserve bid, but it was still a win for tallguy58. Just a guess, but I think many of us would have taken $600 for that phone, a very good offered market price, indeed.

Check out the Special Auction Contest standing page to see who else has won in the 14 CRPF Special Auction Contests to date.