News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens & Halske W19 desk phone

Started by wds, September 20, 2013, 08:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Wanted to share some pictures of this nice Siemens & Halske W19 desk phone.  Interesting phone - dial locks until you remove the handset.  To get the phone apart, there is a lever on the bottom that you push, then twist the cradle about 45 degrees and remove.  Cover just pops off.  I'm still in the process of cleaning, will post better pictures later.  
Dave

Haf

wds,

very nice phone you have. In this case it's no W19 (even if called on the diagram) but an ZB SA 19 (central battery self dial). Add some pics of mine I used to have :) It's still my actual phone number on the phone.
This ones has a NS 30, looks like yours has too. I will go upstairs later on and take a picture of an original pre 1930 dial original with this phone.
And a link to a German phone collectors forum where we discussed the different types of ZB SA 19 with some diagrams of the different types.

http://tinyurl.com/l4r7msb

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Right from the bottom of one of my boxes, a pre NS 30 dial.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

wds

Your phone is nice and clean.  It will take me many hours to get mine to look that nice.  The nickel on mine is cleaning up nicely, but won't look as good as yours.  I like the pre 1930 dial - what else do you have in that box?
Dave

Haf

Will take a closer look later on :) but maybe most of what I used to have is gone now as my collecting interest changed to US phones. The last pre war working phone, my W28 wall I gave to dsk as a birthday gift.

Did you know that the volume of the receiver is adjustable? There is a small security screw you can loosen and then turn the receiver cap for the volume you like and after that lock again.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

wds

Handset markings.  Common Battery markings I'm guessing.  I got the transmitter apart just fine, but I'm a little puzzled about how to disassemble the receiver.  It doesn't look like the bakelite cap screws off, but instead is held on by those screws on the backside?  I see the volume adjustment screw - pretty cool.
Dave

wds

A couple of pictures after the cleaning.  If I decide to go any further, I'll have the nickel refinished, but for now I think it looks pretty good.
Dave

Haf

Wow, turned out really really nice :)
One thing I would not do is repaint the housing, original paint in this condition is very rare. My housing was repainted as the paint was really bad, I had no choice.
Transmitter markings: CL = C. Lorenz AG Berlin, Deutsches Reichs Patent D.R.P.,  W33 = I suppose made for a Reihenapparat 33, ZB Zentralbatterie= central battery, big J= usually marking for factory refurbished in May 1935.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

I took a close look but everything what is left from the phone is the dial and another dialplate like your phone has:

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

wds

Haf sent me his spare dial for this phone, and I finally got it installed.  Looks much better than the other dial.  This dial is dated 1926 and is the correct dial for this phone.  Many thanks to Haf.
Dave

Matilo Telephones

These are great! Any makers marks? I´ll post a couple of pics of mine. It has the correct older dial, but with a different fingerwheel. The S and H logo is stamped in.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Matilo Telephones

Here is mine. Please note it has the pepperpot model end cap over the transmitter, instead of the speaking tube.

The PTT logo is a later addition. This Phone was made before the PTT came into being. Apparantly it found it´s way into their inventory via the telephone companies that were absorbed into the PTT.

And of course there is the different fingerwheel with stamped logo.

It is all Original and as found at the moment. Not cleaned and not restored. Original cords. And it works. One problem I´m afraid. The clapper is mounted in a block of metal, that was milled into shape. Not a casting and not bent out of a flat peace of metal. The metal has oxidised and deteriorated with time. Do not know what the metal is, but is is warped now. That prevents the clapper from working properly.
Groeten,

Arwin

wds

Your's looks very nice.  I also have trouble with my ringer - it seems to be made out of some kind of pot metal, and has cracked up pretty good.  You can see the cracks if you look closely at the picture. 
Dave

Matilo Telephones

Yes, sounds like the same problem. I´m thinking of fabricating a new part out of sheet metal and bend it in the right shape. Or else I´ll have to have it made out of solid aluminum or something.
Groeten,

Arwin

wds

A 3D printer would come in handy right now.
Dave