News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got an Old Candy Bar Machine

Started by Dan, August 19, 2010, 10:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I found out it is a "Stoner 120" model (holds six candy bars each slot holds 20). Rust everywhere, but I will strip her and get my auto body buddy to paint her. There is not as much about these on the net as phones. The coin mechanism is there but it seems jammed or gummed up. Anyone have one of these? I am going to keep it "Hammertone Green."

My wife said the guy should have paid ME money to take it away but I thought $65 was a good price.

1940's Stoner 120

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Russ Kirk

Looks like it will be a fun project.  On Pawn Stars they often show a guy in Las Vegas that refurbishes equipment like this.  They turn out real nice.  This candy machine looks like it will be a fun and simple project. 

let us know how it turns out.

Russ...

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

KeithB

I certainly see beauty in the art deco design on the face of the machine.  Once the rust is cleaned, it's painted, the mirror is re-glazed and the chrome is restored, it should be a fabulous piece.  It appears to be in great shape, considering its age.

Dennis Markham

Very cool machine.  If you find a dime inside I think it's mine.  I think I lost a dime in that machine one time---or was it a nickel?  :)

I agree with what Larry said....two people can look at that at the same time and see two different things.

Greg G.

What is (or was) that area in the center top of the machine?  A holder for a sign?  It almost looks like it was a mirror of some sort, only not glass, just reflective material.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Here's your machine, except this one has 8 slots.  They were used in theaters:

http://www.vintagevending.com/1950s-stoner-univendor-theater-candy-vending-machine#more-2047

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Thanks guys. It was a mirror on the top that has delaminated or flaked away. This should be a lot of work compared to a WE 500 restoration, but at least this thing is all mechanical so I don't have to work about cleaning switches and contacts like on an old pinball machine.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill Cahill

It's a wreck, but, should be a beuty when finnished.
Neat.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 19, 2010, 02:35:35 PM
If you find a dime inside I think it's mine.  I think I lost a dime in that machine one time---or was it a nickel?  :)

Dennis: No dimes OR nickels inside but Dan thinks he found the chocolate bar that you paid for. Do you want it sent parcel post or Priority?

Terry

Dennis Markham

That's funny, Terry.  I'll pass.  But maybe it will sell on eBay under Vintage Candy.

jiggerman

If I was it for $65.00 I would surely buy it, but I think my wife would have the same reaction as yours. Once you get it restored it was look great. Let us know how it turns out. Jiggerman

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 19, 2010, 10:16:42 PM
That's funny, Terry.  I'll pass.  But maybe it will sell on eBay under Vintage Candy.

They were made with real sugar back then, so that should jack up the price!
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on August 20, 2010, 03:09:28 AM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 19, 2010, 10:16:42 PM

They were made with real sugar back then, so that should jack up the price!

And of course if it just HAPPENED to be in the likeness of a biblical figure or scene, all bets as to the final price are off!

Terry