News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal handset - is this for linemen or something else?

Started by TaylorStreet, April 21, 2017, 04:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaylorStreet

This handset was included in a stash of phones & equipment I bought recently.  The only marking I can find in or out is the number "2123" in red ink printed on the back of the transmitter end.  The cord was cut off at the handset long ago.  There are some other letters fore and aft of the number, but are unreadable.  Note the toggle switch below the receiver.  Someone did suggest that it looks like a lineman's handset.

I did find a very similar one on fleabay (Item # 351973419891) that said it was "a 1903 AT&T handset" that they seem (to me) to be asking silly money for ($300+), but I'm sure no expert. 

But I will say this:  if anyone is still into Steampunk decor, this looks like a 'holy grail' item to me!

So, can anyone help with an id?  And is that other one priced realistically?  And is this one complete, save the cord?

unbeldi

Jim Stettler

I agree with it being SC. I bought some NOS from Steve Hilsz  a few years ago. They were Navy surplus NOS with Cloth cord. I think I paid $20.00 each. It has a higher cool value than money value.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.