News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Short Ear Metal 302

Started by Desert Phone Guy, April 21, 2017, 11:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

Found this set at a junk store recently.  It is a nice short ear 302 set with some oddities.  It has been upgraded to a 5-H dial, and It does not have the vents.  Had an early F-1 handset with matching dates.  The finish was nice as well... Cords were shot however....

All the components test good... Will rewire and either keep, trade, or sell...

Steve

RotarDad

Nice 12-37 302, Steve.  It looks very clean, corrosion-free and original.  A 5H dial is correct; can you see the date stamp?  Often they are partially obscured by the dial gasket, which is probably no longer pliable - I'd leave it alone.  The lack of vents is also correct - they were phased out in late '37, October I believe.  There is a great thread here on the forum with a good amount of detail on the early 302s, including the date ranges for certain features.  (Perhaps someone can post a link to that thread - I can't find it.....)   Welcome to the forum!  Paul
Paul

poplar1

It is not often that a phone survives 80 years with no modifications!

Here is the link to the 302 dates. (Search for "date ranges.")
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg125729#msg125729

10-37 is the latest date found so far for the "vents."

11 16 37 for grooveless handset (though some overlap with grooved handsets)

12-37 is the latest date reported for the "short ears."

4H dial dated I 38 found on 3-38 set

"Silent" 5H dial with phenol pulse pawl IV 36 - I 38
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Desert Phone Guy

Here are some more photos of the  short ear 302...

I never noticed the difference in the gong numbers until reading the posts... these are 40A and 40B, which appears to be factory issue.

Learning information like this is why I like this site!!!

RotarDad

Steve - That is a very nice 302, with great paint!  Unless you have a nicer or earlier one, that might be a keeper.  Thank you Poplar1 for the link - some really helpful info there!!
Paul

unbeldi

Paint ?

I don't think this is good paint, it looks like it has been powder-coated.  The surface is wobbly or blotchy and the edges of the H1 marking on the rear are soft, rather than their normal crispness.

RotarDad

Karl  - Agreed, the paint/coating in the last pic does a bit strange (orange peel and thick) but in the other pics looks pretty normal.  In looking closer, there is paint/coating loss on the outside ear corners, but no loss where the handset sits in the cradle. Also, shouldn't the dial gasket be tan, if original?  Maybe this was an older restoration of a dates-matching phone.....
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

I doubt it was powdercoated, but I would bet it's definitely a repaint. Fortunately, it sure looks like whoever did it did a nice job!

Great phone! I have 5 short-ear 302s, and none are as complete as this one!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

The dial appears to be between 1945 and 1952.
What dates were on the cord restraints, dial, and number plate?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Desert Phone Guy

The Dial is Dated 8-48 and the number plate is II-49, so it has definitely been upgraded. The paint I am not sure of... I guess now looking at it under a strong light, the paint is probably a repaint, but an old repaint.... ??