What Do I Have Here?

Started by Doug Rose, October 29, 2014, 06:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

It is....but it is solid and doesn't move...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Brinybay on November 01, 2014, 07:25:39 PM
What is that?  Is the whole thing encased in tar?

That is to be expected.  The leading causes for ignition failures are probably condensation of water.

Greg G.

Doug, can you keep us posted on the status of this thing?  I'm really curious about it. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

You bet...it is on eBay now....thanks for everything....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291283520297
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

it was very common in the earl;y days of electronics to encapsulate capacitors and coils in Tar. Most old radios have potted capacitors. Also to help,prevent vibration damage.
Do you have continuity between the tip and the barrel of the RCA plug ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

I sold it for $50 on eBay and just received positvie feedback. It went overseas and buyer says it is in working order!!!...Doug

The coil arrived well packed and in good order. Bonus: It still works as new!!   
Buyer: xxxxxx ( 26Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)     During past month
   Atwater-Kent ignition coil, ca. 1917-20. Used on Franklins and likely others. (#291283520297)   US $49.99   V
Kidphone

Babybearjs

John

Russ Kirk

That's awesome Doug.  It's like finding a $50 bill in the drawer!

Curious,  what country did you ship it to?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 19, 2014, 05:41:30 AM
I sold it for $50 on eBay and just received positvie feedback. It went overseas and buyer says it is in working order!!!...Doug

The coil arrived well packed and in good order. Bonus: It still works as new!!   
Buyer: xxxxxx ( 26Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)     During past month
    Atwater-Kent ignition coil, ca. 1917-20. Used on Franklins and likely others. (#291283520297)   US $49.99   V

Wow, must have been NOS, just minus the original packing!  Where did you get it originally?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

thanks folks...it went overseas to .....Canada. Sorry......I thought it was England...oooops.

Janet found it at a Flea market years ago, she thought it was a phone part, as I did. Just not sure what it was?  Memory says she paid $5 for it and a few other parts. Real cheap from a flea market bud that saves her phone stuff. HEY PHONE LADY!! When I was there they would ignore me completly. It pays to be a cute blonde. It hung in a blind corner of the phone room for awhile, then was taken down and put in a corner on the floor for "what do I do with this" later. I was told to get sh*t off the floor. This was before I knew the carpet guys were coming. 12/2 is the day! Change is good...change is good!!!!...Kidistressed
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 19, 2014, 05:36:48 PM
thanks folks...it went overseas to .....Canada. Sorry......I thought it was England...oooops.

Almost the same.  I've often told Anita that Canada is just British-light (she's Canadian from British parents).  I've learned to like baked beans on toast. 
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Next thing you will be on to Sausage, Egg, Beans & Chips (french fries, not potato chips).

Followed up with a Pint ...a real Pint, 20 ounces not wimpy 16 ounce Pint.

Terry