News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1243

Started by dsk, February 20, 2012, 04:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

;D I won this: Stromberg Carlson 1243  ( $20.50 )
A little oil in the worm gear and the dial works.
A little cleaning, and probably some black spray paint on the body.
The mouthpiece misses a part, I'll try to use some black glue, and drill some holes.
A new cord, and one new rubber foot's needed.
I'm impressed over the light and compact metal case phone. Not the speech-quality of the W.E. 500. Still impressing.

I have to wait until its spring with painting, no idea to try this in the snow.

Can someone out there help me to date this phone?

dsk

Vern P

No HARD info, but I would say 1940's, about the same time as a WE302. Never seen any in plastic, like with the 302. 

The next SC desk set I know of was the 1543, these were to compeat with the WE500. Made in plastic and in colors.
Vern P

rdelius

The 1243 was a post war redisign ot the 1222. The 1222 had fat feet, brass bottom cover and the parts were similar to the 1212 set. The 1243 had a potted network and the bottom cover was alumunum .Feet were small and round.do not know when production was stopped .
Robby

Kenny C

Does anyone have a simple wiring diagram for one of these things? I have tried 2 different ways and neither work.

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

MDK

I've noticed Stromberg Carlson networks to be somewhat confusing. I found 3 completely different wiring diagrams for supposedly the same phone. I finally ended up wiring my 1248WI using this 1243 diagram.

dsk

Quote from: MDK on February 22, 2012, 08:39:26 PM
I've noticed Stromberg Carlson networks to be somewhat confusing. I found 3 completely different wiring diagrams for supposedly the same phone. I finally ended up wiring my 1248WI using this 1243 diagram.

This universal network is made to be used in almost every telephone used for CB or LB until the semiconductors came in the telephone circuits. That makes the possibility to do something wrong huge, but you cant ruin anything, except the screw terminals with tightening to hard ;D
(The capacitors inside the network and soldering etc may fail due to ageing.)

Remember it may be something wrong outside the network too, and it may be a wire, a dial, or other external components not doing their job properly.

Kenny; you may have done it right, it is so easy to overlook a little error. Here on the forum we suggest a lot of things, we may disagree, or see what other don't see. To get it in order is just a matter of time.  Please tell what us about the case, if needed we have to test each part to determine if it is working properly.  You don't have to be an expert, you don't have to have lots of tools, but you need time, and patience.  A screwdriver, a pair of pliers a 9v battery and another telephone as a control tool, and we may solve it. More tools, instruments, field telephones etc makes it more easy, if you know how to use it.

Just let us try help you  ;D

dsk

dsk

Now its tested, an as usual it did turn up different from what I expected.

The rubber insulation on the 3 cords on the handset cord was brittle, and made trouble coming and going.
Some paint, and tape and its solved until later (for ever?)

The cabinet was not that bad, so I gave it a good brush with an old sock and some black shoe polish.

The dial works great, no misdialling, no loud clicks.

The telephone cord is substituted with a Norwegian telephone cord from the same time.

Several components has the digits 248, I have deemed it to be dated: Feb. 1948.

The transmitter cap: Filled the hole with black plastic glue, and drilled up 3 holes.  Looks OK, and looks repaired.

The sound quality is impressingly good with the original transmitter etc.

The ringer, you may hear by youselves. http://alturl.com/j9svf
(Need hints about how to do this sound thing better, please PM me)

The dial card: Thought info about the phone was great to put in here.

dsk

dsk

I forgot, the missing rubber pad.
I just happend to have this one, and the size is perfect.

It looks quite well at the old cabinet!

dsk

dsk

I think the sound is high note.
The bells: E7  and F5
http://alturl.com/k644o
dsk

HowardPgh

d s k
There appears to be 2 different networks used in the 1243's. They look alike on the outside.
In one version terminals 13 and 14 are not connected to anything inside the network and do nothing.
My phone has the 200595 network in it. On this network terminals 13 and 14 are connected the coil inside the network. #13 connects to #10 (YEL wire of handset)  Watch out for all the Strap (jumper) connections.
The networks have different types of induction coils.
Howard

dsk

:-\ And I was so impressed of the universal circuit.   :'(
Did a quick check of mine, and at least it is internal connections to the 13 and 14 terminals.  :) in mine.
My network has a red stamp saying:
    B

dsk

dsk

Some more research gave me this:

dsk

It may be other versions and markings on the unit, please inform me if you have further information.
http://tinyurl.com/7z59yll   d_s_k

dsk

Now I even know how accurate the dial are.
http://is.gd/dQwQn6
Just some oil (no cleaning of the dial) and the dial from 1948 are just 3.65% to fast  :)

dsk

MMikeJBenN27

Actually, they do have the speech quality of a Western Electric.  The receiver capsule on these sometimes deteriorates, resulting on weak volume.  Replacing it with the next generation, which uses screw terminals, (use short wires from contact terminals in handset to receiver capsule and a spacer, as it is a little thinner), will result in great speech quality that rivals WE phones.

Pourme

Is there a kit or detailed instructions on this?

Quote from: MMikeJBenN on August 17, 2018, 01:20:25 PM
Actually, they do have the speech quality of a Western Electric.  The receiver capsule on these sometimes deteriorates, resulting on weak volume.  Replacing it with the next generation, which uses screw terminals, (use short wires from contact terminals in handset to receiver capsule and a spacer, as it is a little thinner), will result in great speech quality that rivals WE phones.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service