News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which phones to keep?

Started by Volvoguy, July 24, 2014, 12:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

So I am curious about how everyone decides which specimens of certain models to keep, and which to let go. I have found myself with 4 black AE80's, and have decided to let 2 go. One is a very early one, so obviously I keep that one. One is later and nothing special, so that one goes. The other two though are the problem. One is a newly acquired phone, older, but not as old as the first one. The other is the phone that originally got me in to collecting, but nothing special other than that. Both in good shape, one small crack in the older one.

How would you all decide what to do when space is an issue, and 4 of essentially the same phone can't be kept around?

Kenton K

Get more space, More will be coming!!!

Volvoguy

Haha, these aren't the ONLY phones, just 4 of the same.......

baldopeacock

Quote from: Volvoguy on July 24, 2014, 12:55:09 AM
One is a very early one, so obviously I keep that one. . The other is the phone that originally got me in to collecting, but nothing special other than that.
How would you all decide what to do when space is an issue, and 4 of essentially the same phone can't be kept around?

Give your choices, I'd keep the one that started it all.  It's like framing your first dollar earned.

Dan/Panther

I'd let the cracked one go.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mr. Bones

I'd have to agree with baldopeacock.

With no starting point, there is no measuring progress... plus sentiment has a way of catching up with one. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Dan/Panther

Quote from: baldopeacock on July 24, 2014, 11:31:02 AM
Quote from: Volvoguy on July 24, 2014, 12:55:09 AM
One is a very early one, so obviously I keep that one. . The other is the phone that originally got me in to collecting, but nothing special other than that.

Give your choices, I'd keep the one that started it all.  It's like framing your first dollar earned.

Being that the original phone you started with is NOT the cracked one, that goes perfectly with what Baldopeacock, and I said together.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

My vote is to keep the one that started it all.

Doug Rose

Before it gets to large....define your collection. You can't keep everything so sell your extras for $$ to buy phones that you want. In the end you should only keep one specimen of each phone. How many black AE 80s do you need? At one time I had 10 black thermoplastic 302s, how many did I need. Kept the best and sold the rest. I still have 30 302s, but all are different. Dan gave good advice, keep the best condition of the phones. Check your phones for dates, phones with matching dates are a real nice find, untouched in the years in the wild.

Condition, condition, condition. You want to try to restore your phones so like they are just from the factory....or as close as possible.  I do not like repro parts, but that is me.

Even though I am lucky enough to have a room to display my phones, space is still an issue. One comes in, one has to go. I came to the point I decided I would collect form the color 302s back. So all the 500 sets, Princess' etc had to go. No touch tone, only rotary or no dials as I LOVE the manual sets.

I have never regretted selling a phone from my collection and I have sold some good ones. With the cash I received, I would get one I really wanted. I do not limit myself to one manufacturer as there are too many great deco phones to leave them out because of the maker.

Good luck...its a great hobby...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

In my case, it's a moving target.

I have redefined my collection several times.

As I am filling in known holes, I learn more and discover phones I never knew existed when putting to together the latest collection plan.  Part of the plan is to be open minded and buy some things "just because I want them."

The plan gets revised and there are more holes to fill.  I have made several major direction changes since I started collecting.

Although not for space limits, like Doug I try to sell or trade phones that no longer fit the plan.

For example, while learning about the Design Line sets, I collected samples of all but the coin set.  (I had previously sold off my paystation collection -- except one Gray collector -- so didn't need to own a set with a dummy chute.  I have seen several.)  I have since sold many of the Design Line sets.

Therefore, the organized part of the collection focuses on the sets I enjoy today and plan to study over the next few years.

That still leaves many in the project area that haven't been organized and studied.  I do try to keep production variations for sets I may study in detail in the future.  That's how I was able to document things like the Princess base pad variations. 

I keep hoping someone will compile detailed lists for AE, SC, Kellogg, etc. models and components.  Your AE80s could be a start in that direction.

It's interesting to see what's in collections.  There have been some interesting focused displays at shows.  For example:  pink phones, starting with the 302; green phones; black 500-series model variations; North H-series sets in "all" colors; 500-series sets in "all" colors.

The fun of collecting is that you can define your collection any way -- and change your mind whenever you want.

Enjoy.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Russ Kirk

Redefining, that is what I am thinking about for my collection.  The lack of display space is the biggest driver. But everytime I start thinking about what to get rid of to make more room I have second thoughts.

So I try to think about what I want to collect more and collect less.  Less wood, plain black sets, nick nacks, misc parts/sets/items in need of major refurbishment.  More payphones, candlesticks, dialers and color 302/500/princess sets. I think about what i but at phone shows it is candlesticks ans color phones. 

Hummmm, the more is still bigger than the less. Looks like I will have to store more phones in the closet until I decide.

A phone show is coming up in my area in 5 months, so there is still time to think about what I will bring to sell.  Duplicates and project sets will on the list to bring. The only problem is I know I will also buy more cool items to add to my collection.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Kenton K

In all collections, you want to make sure that the money you spend on telephones goes into quality phones. You don't want to spend money on a phone simply because it was an 'OK' price. Odds are, that phone is going to sit around not adding to the grand collection. You'll probably rationally decide its not worth your time and effort to restore a phone, both for your collection or for resale. Many phones are money pits reducing the growth of the greater collection. One has to account the energy it takes for project sets.

For example, if I saw black 500 set, I probably wouldn't spend more than $5 or $10 because I already have a really nice one. I know I could refurbish it and get $50, but the time and energy required simply isn't worth it.

Inevitably, every collector will amass extra phones that don't fit in the main collection. Most of us like to make liquid those funds by selling them. If they aren't worth selling, as in the case of many 500 and newer sets, I like to give them as gifts.

Just my thoughts.

Lewes2

This thread raises a question that has been in the back of my mind and is directed at the serious collectors.  If a phone, otherwise all original with matching dates, has been repainted, is it still deemed collectible.  Or, are true collectibles you keep in your collection untouched, with scuffs, scratches, etc? 

And what about say an original shell with non-matching components swapped out by someone?  I've been monitoring the Auction thread but it's difficult to determine what's truly collectible and what's not. 

Personally, rather than collecting, I derive more pleasure from taking an old, beat phone and making it right - attractive and useful again.  I may or may not use the original parts depending on the phone.  Similar to those modifying cars with newer and safer components, I enjoy taking a beat 302, rebuilding it with working parts, using T1 and LB1 components in the handset (for better transmission) and giving it a fresh paint or powder coating. (I KNOW the serious collectors are shuddering.)   :) 

Chuck 

paul-f

Good points, Chuck.

IMHO, any serious collector who is shuddering is taking things too seriously.   ;)

From past discussions, it's clear that there are lots of differing opinions about whether to and how to restore phones.  No matter what you do, you'll find supporters and detractors.

For most phones that were made in quantities of millions, it really doesn't make much difference if you paint or swap parts.  You aren't likely to "destroy" the last original set on the planet.

The phone is your property, so you have the right to treat it as you wish.

However, for exceptionally scarce sets it's important to at least consider preserving the original state for posterity.  Restorations can often be done in a fashion that preserves the orginal parts so the process can be reversed in the future, if desired.

For example, if you don't like displaying your WE E4 keyset with the deteriorated cloth cords, you can replace the cords with repros for display or display the phone with no cords and store the originals.

The discussions about matching date phones pose some complications.  On one hand, it's interesting to save the sets as found, as it shows how effective the phone companies were at maximizing their investment by replacing parts to keep the phones in service as long as possible.  On the other hand, the demand for matching date sets by collectors has prompted many to replace the non-matching parts. 

I vividly remember touring one collection and noted the collector had a series of dated boxes on shelves in his work room.  There was one for each year in the 1940s and early 50s.  Every time he got a 300-series set with non-matching dates, he stripped it down and sorted the parts by year.  When he had enough parts in a box, he assembled his matching dates set.

There are lots of interesting collection plans out there.

It would be boring if there was only one set of standards for telephone collecting.

We each have the challenge to create our personal set of standards and have fun watching it develop.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

I have done both.  I had a 295A that someone years ago painted white with an enamel paint.  Over the years it got to be pretty ragged looking cosmetically.  By the time my wife bought it for me as a Christmas present, it looked terrible.

I stripped it and I am pretty happy with the results.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8362.msg90548#msg90548

Click the above link for the thread.

You will find many examples of restorations here on this forum, so it is kind of your decision.  It is kind of like whether or not restore a classic car.  You just need to use your judgement, and take into consideration your level of skill, and whether your "contribution" to the phone will likely help its value or just be for your own sense of accomplishment.

And we must'nt leave out the grand-daddy of all the forum topics started in March, 2010 when Dan/Panther bought, then restored a 1949 500 prototype.  This was a huge undertaking because so much of the phone was missing.  It also engaged just about everyone on this forum for months.  It was a wonderful job of restoration.

See this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2394.200

There are many phones, however that I have seen where some previous owner has tried their "handywork" and in my opinion they have absolutely ruined the phone.  Take a candlestick to a lamp conversion as an extreme example.  There are more subtle examples, including the cobbling of some rare early phone, not knowing that it was rare and sought after.
-Bill G