Main Menu

SB 22 switchboard

Started by rdelius, June 07, 2019, 04:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

It has arrived, and yes it looks like it has been in the war!  Probably an early version since it have no trunk units, and a first generation operators pack.  A little cleaning, some adjustments, one defect line pack and one defect operators cord are changed.  My H33 http://www.prc68.com/I/H33.shtml handset works great just as we used when I served.

Just a great thing, I guess this one has more sole ande personality than if I got a brand new one.

I'm really happy.   :)

It is bigger and heavier than my DIY board, but it is slightly more advanced too. I skipped the ring-back function in my design, and have to plug the operators cord in to the line witch should be called, and I have no possibility for an external ring current machine.   8)

FABphones

Brilliant, I'm really pleased for you. It's great when a plan comes together. Looking forward to seeing the photos.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

That's some welcome good news!  Enjoy!
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Congrats Dag....I am happy for you....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Glad it worked out. What was the customs fee based on?.More than the asking price

dsk

Quote from: rdelius on July 04, 2019, 08:52:35 PM
Glad it worked out. What was the customs fee based on?.More than the asking price
About 1/3 was the fee for the customs work, the rest is based on the value as electronics, and the postage is included in that value.

dsk

dsk

Quote from: FABphones on July 04, 2019, 05:58:18 PM
Brilliant, I'm really pleased for you. It's great when a plan comes together. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Here are some photos. I would be glad to get help to find the date of production.
The last 2 pics are my handset equal to what we used when I  served, and my way to make a rough but working battery adapter for the Li-Ion 18650 battery to replace 2 D-cells (BA-30 cells)

dsk

19and41

The data plate shows order number 4739-PH-52.  That would indicate a order from Philadelphia Army Depot in 1952.  So it is of Korean war vintage.  It could have been stored for any length of time before it's first issue.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Thank you, That makes it fit to the oldet TM's I guess we may call it a 1952.

dsk

19and41

Seeing that reminds me of all the shifts I had to pull, monitoring one of those.  I remember the indicators on each pack were phosphorescent, as were some of the little white squares.  They were for marking each subscriber with a grease pencil.  We had a earpiece/microphone with a headband as opposed to a handset.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Quote from: 19and41 on July 05, 2019, 02:04:42 PM
Seeing that reminds me of all the shifts I had to pull, monitoring one of those.  I remember the indicators on each pack were phosphorescent, as were some of the little white squares.  They were for marking each subscriber with a grease pencil.  We had a earpiece/microphone with a headband as opposed to a handset.

I guess that was the standard, I served in the coast artillery, and it was pretty close to an old 150mm canon.  There we used the handset with noise cancelling transmitter.  It worked, but I have to admit that those are not only cancelling noise, but everything else too.  Those transmitter capsules are not easy to replace with regular ones.

dsk

dsk

Quote from: dsk on August 10, 2019, 02:59:43 AM
I guess that was the standard, I served in the coast artillery, and it was pretty close to an old 150mm canon.  There we used the handset with noise cancelling transmitter.  It worked, but I have to admit that those are not only cancelling noise, but everything else too.  Those transmitter capsules are not easy to replace with regular ones.
dsk

That was not easy to read  :) so I  hope this is better.

dsk

19and41

I see now that was print!  I thought it was morse code, maybe like some like to put in their posts.  The Baudot code was as close to any code I had to understand in the service.  ;D 
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Sometimes it has just happend when I was posting, I did not notice, and I do not understand why. but it is nice way to share secret info. :

dsk