"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. 1A Monophone

Started by BDM, April 10, 2009, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on February 13, 2011, 01:03:36 AM
Re. the metal bands on the handset:  Black is correct for a black 1A Monophone, chrome or brass for the colored ones.  Chrome was also correct for type 34 and the 40-series Monophones in black.

Not brass but "Gold Matte" plated bands and other trim items OR chromed trim on all colored AE sets. And as you say "GG", chrome and Gold were also options on standard black bakelite AE's as well with chrome being quite a common option.

For the dial: AE issued chrome with chrome and black with black.  The reason you see chrome dial card retainers on black dials and vice-versa is that the local telcos and the various refurb outfits did that for expedience when they ran out of the matching number rings.

I agree, I have never seen any indication of mixed chrome/black fingerwheel/numbercard rings being supplied by AE. I'd suspect refurbishers or even field repairs by Telco employees since we all know how often the number card ring goes missing on AE dials.

The baseplate of those 1A units was equipped with a round rubber gasket similar to what's on the 34 and 40-series Monophones; there are some sources of repros available (I can't recall the exact source).

Gary Goff in California. Somewhere in the $10 to $12 range each including postage within the USA.

The weak spot on the 1A is the cradle: the plastic "ears" can get broken off easily.  

Yes the bakelite ears were quite fragile. Many of the cradles were cast pot metal. I don't know which came first, bakelite or pot metal cradles but sort of assume that the pot metal came later as it was quite a bit more durable.

Terry

stub

BDM ,
         You can e-mail Gary Goff. I think he still has these.    stub

gdgoff@gmail.com  
Kenneth Stubblefield

BDM

Quote from: stub1953 on February 13, 2011, 01:34:54 AM
BDM ,
         You can e-mail Gary Goff. I think he still has these.    stub

gdgoff@gmail.com  

Thanks Gents. I've had the pleasure in meeting Gary many years ago, and have done business with him the past. Didn't realize he had the gaskets. I should have considering he has them for the later A.E. sets :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Those rubber gaskets that Gary makes are very nice.  They also work perfectly for the Stromberg Carlson 1212 Fatboy.  I exchanged e-mail with Gary at the first of the year and he indicated he was having a fresh batch of the gaskets made up at that time.  He also confirmed that they work on the Fatboy.  I had already put one on mine so I know it is a great replacement.

BDM

Holy Zeniths Batman!!! I didn't know you had one of those. darn that phone looks new :)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Thanks, Brian.  You can see some before & after shots here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3488.30

I still need a grill screen for it and a Stromberg Carlson decal for the back.

By the way, it's good to see you back on the Forum!

BDM

Man that looks good! Guess I gotta pay more attention to what you have sitting on the shelf when I'm over there ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian, I don't think it was here the last time you came by the house.  That means you're over due for another visit.

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 13, 2011, 01:15:35 PM
Brian, I don't think it was here the last time you came by the house.  That means you're over due for another visit.

Yes I need to get out of my cave :o
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

wds

I finally picked up my first 1A.  It looked a little rough when I bought it, but polished up real nice.  I have a rubber gasket on order from Gary Goff, now all I need is to find a brass center ring.  It looks nice next to the AE 21 candlestick.  I couldn't resist polishing those bands instead of painting them black. 
Dave

BDM

Looks better with the bands polished IMHO anyhow. Heck, unless you're trying to win a 100 pnt show, who cares. Nice set!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JorgeAmely

Quote from: wds on May 07, 2011, 07:13:52 PM
I finally picked up my first 1A.  It looked a little rough when I bought it, but polished up real nice.  I have a rubber gasket on order from Gary Goff, now all I need is to find a brass center ring.  It looks nice next to the AE 21 candlestick.  I couldn't resist polishing those bands instead of painting them black. 

If you remove the black paint from the ring, your will find brass that can be polished just like you did with the other trim parts.
Jorge

AE_Collector

I'm guessing that the numbercard ring is a "loaner" from another AE set since the original 1A was missing its ring?

Some of the number card rings are aluminum rather than brass so check it out before you start stripping the paint off!

Terry

wds

Yes, the ring was a loaner.  The model 40 I took it from probably isn't very happy right now.  But, I have a brass ring on it's way.
Dave

wds

Updated picture with a new gasket, the correct ring, and an old number card.  I think I like the looks of this phone better than my B1/E1
Dave