News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1243W

Started by oldguy, January 18, 2016, 05:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I just picked up this SC 1243W this afternoon off of Craigslist for $25 in Grass Valley CA. It looks to be in very good condition. Cords are in good shape & even has a dial card holder. Can anybody tell me the vintage & any other interesting information? This is only my 2nd Stromber Carlson phone. I am including pics of the phone & any numbers I could find. The number on the bottom of the dial is 262 & the one on the housing is P-32883, I couldn't get it to show up on a picture. any help would be appreciated.
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: oldguy on January 18, 2016, 05:56:51 PM
I just picked up this SC 1243W this afternoon off of Craigslist for $25 in Grass Valley CA. It looks to be in very good condition. Cords are in good shape & even has a dial card holder. Can anybody tell me the vintage & any other interesting information? This is only my 2nd Stromber Carlson phone. I am including pics of the phone & any numbers I could find. The number on the bottom of the dial is 262 & the one on the housing is P-32883, I couldn't get it to show up on a picture. any help would be appreciated.

The 1240-series were S-C's lines of design in the 1940s after WW-II to compete against 302-line made by Western Electric.
The 1240 series included:
*1242 - desk set like 1222, manual, with first all-in-one network
*1243 - like 1242, but with dial
*1244 - extension set without internals, can be used with desk set box too.
*1247 - local-battery-talking common-battery-signaling set
*1248 - desk set with integrated magneto generator
The line also included wall sets (1250...)
These were displaced by the early 50s by the 1400 series, and shortly after the 1500s (ca. 1955).

P-32883 is the part number of housing, typically stamped or molded into the metal inside.  Does yours also have a logo of three concentric C's, as pictured below?   These housing were made by an outside supplier, who also made metal housings for Western Electric in ca. 1946.

oldguy

Thanks unbeldi, great information.
Gary

G-Man

There are over a half-dozen documents for the 1243 telephone in the TCI Library, including a Bell System Practice showing a Western Electric no. 5 dial installed.

Here is a simple wiring diagram.

andre_janew

It looks like there is a strap between L2 and G and an X over the yellow wire.  Is this a recent update on the diagram?

rdelius

When using the set with modern bridging ringing,install the strap and omit the yellow wire on the cord
This was a factory option,not an update

oldguy

Thanks for the Great input guys. I obviously need to make that change to my wiring, thanks again.
Gary