News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ah. Speaking of hometowns........

Started by Bill Cahill, May 19, 2009, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

While growing up at my parents' home in Harper Woods, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, it was an interesting time. The 50's.
My parent's house was on Woodcrest. All the houses were modest "cracker box" style homes built in the late 40's after the war. It was a 3 bedroom  home with a large living room, where our family tv usually resided, and, our early desk telephones usually were placed on a table in the corner by the hallway.
We had a modest kitchen, small dinning room, and, a full sized basement.
There was one bath room at the end of the hallway. The kitchen was the first doorway on the right. Next door was the room I was usually in on the left. Accross from the, the hallway closet.
Next one on the left in those days, my sisters slept in, and, on the right, my parent's room accross the hall from that.
There was a two door linen closet on the left between two of the bedrooms.
There was a landing halfway down the stairs where the side entrance to the house was.
We would put on, or, take off our boots, coats, snow shoes, skates, etc., there.
That's the door where I'd sneak in many a tv trash find in my teenage years.
Boy, that 27" Deforest Sanabria BW tv barely made it through the door!
When I had my job at the tv repair shop, and, Craig sold me all his ancient BW tv'ws, they all ceme through that door into the basement.
Boy, the joy it was finding all those toyz. My eyes bulged with excitement!

Up two blocks, and, 6 blocks down Kelley Road heading to 7 mile road, there was the last building that
Craig's tv repair shop last resided. 19290 Kelley road.
Nest door was a barber shop, on corner, a shoe repair shop. Behind that a candy store.
The barber shop closed, and, an antique shop moved in.
Ah, those were the days........
I recently received an e mail from a friend who recently took some pictures of the area, and, if someone would like, I can put some here. "Ah, youth. It's wasted on the young."
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

And, her reply was usually "Get that thing out of my house!" That's why I sneaked most of them in.
I think my second tv after the family set died was another RCA. We were at a House one summer for a week up North. One of my mother's bosses let us use the house one week during the summer.
I fell instantly in love with a 10" metal cabinet RCA Victor tv made in 1949 still on its' original wood stand.
I asked the woman about it, and, my mother had a fit. The following winter the woman, and, her husband brought the set to me. It was still working. My mother had a fit. She said," no. We have decided we are moving in that house, and, we already have a more modern set, so we don't need this old one anymore."
That tv played for another six months, then, quit.
After that, I was completely hooked on old tv sets. Of course, I had already fallen in love on the family set.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Keep up the stories, I especially likew the ones about you experimenting on the family set. :o :o :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Bill Cahill

What stories, dip pan?
Hmm. He's dreaming again.  :D
Bill Cahill

AET

I've been a bit of a Nomad.  Here's a residency list.  Milwaukee, Germantown, Hartford, Mayville, Menomonee Falls, Colegate, York, Columbus, Caledonia, Portage, and some multiple homes in some of those towns.
- Tom

bingster

Good heavens, that's a lot of moves.  My parents lived in a couple different places (in the same town) before I was born, but I lived in the same house until I left home.  I guess I was lucky in that my whole family for several generations back came from the same small town (College Park, Maryland).  It's kind of a nice feeling to be able walk around a town and see all the houses your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents grew up in (not to mention aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.). 
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Would that be portage Mich.?
I lived in Harper Woods with my parents, Detroit, Kalamazoo, and, Now, St. Petersburg, Fl.
I'm not moving anymore if I can help it.
Bill Cahill

AET

No, it's Portage, Wisconsin.  I've lived in Wisconsin all my life.  Even though most people guess I'm from Alabama, Tennessee, etc.  Portage was our summer spot, since my grandpa built a cabin here in 1958, which my pop now owns, so Portage has always been the closest thing to home for me.  And I've blended so well.  I've only been here since I was a freshman and people already think that I've been there forever.  People often ask me if I remember things that happened to them in elementary school haha.
- Tom