News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nick Adenhart dies at 22.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 12, 2009, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I know this may not be the story of the week, but I have to talk about it, as it hits close to home here.
Nick Adenhart as you may know was a starting Pitcher for the Anaheim Angels, and pitched Thursday night against the Red Sox, He had recentrly undergone the Tommy Johns operation, to rebuild his pitching ram, with great success.
Thursday against Boston, Nick had pitched 6 shut out innings when, he was relieved.
He was estactic, he had called his Dad earlier that morning, and told his Dad to fly out to L.A. for the game that night, because; "Something Special is going to happen, and I want you and MOM tom be here."
He was right, something special did happen, 3 hours after the game, he was killed in a hit and run accidernt in Fullerton, about 10 miles from where I grew up, he and 3 friends were on their way to a dance club, and were 40 yards from the front door when the other driver ran a red light and hit them broadside at 80 MPH.
Two died instantly, one girl, and a guy, one guy survived, Nick died 6 hours later at UCI medical center. The offender had been arrested before on Drunken driving charges, and was driving that night on a suspended license. Both he and Nick were 22 years old.
Nick was rushed to UCI medical center where he passed away just after 6 am.
I had recently had an operation at the very same Hospital where he was taken. I'm sure he received the best treatment possible.
I had just renewed interest in the Angels, after 25 years, the last time I supported them was around 1979, when Lyman Bostock was killed by a jealous Boyfriend in Gary, Indiana. Lyman was just taken an old friend to dinner with other friends, when the ex boyfriend pulled along side and shot a shotgun throught the rear porthole, hitting Lyman in the side of the head.
I can not even imagine what Nicks family must feel.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, thanks for this post.  I heard this story when it first happened as it was all over the National news.  I didn't know the pitcher before the reports of his death.  I think I saw it the following morning as I watched the Today Show.  I shook my head and was actually choked up over the report.  Not just for the loss of the baseball player, Nick but for the other two as well.  My sons are 23 and 21.  I can relate to having sons this age.  It would be devastating to me to lose one my sons.  I can only image. 

Friday afternoon my oldest son and I attended Opening Day at Comerica Park in Detroit where the Tigers played the Texas Rangers.  Just before the start of the game the Tigers held a tribute to Nick Adenhart, showing his photo on the center field scoreboard and asked for a moment of silence.  It was amazing to be in that crowd of over 45,000 people.  The crowed fell silent.  It was eerie.  The only sounds heard were those of the city outside the confines of the stadium.  I did not need the reminder of this tragedy to help me appreciate the time I was spending with my son.  We try and make as many Opening Day games as possible and have since the boys were young.  It's really an event here (Opening Day) as it probably is in most venues. 

Just a couple weeks ago in our area 4 "kids" were killed while sitting at a red light.  The driver was 20, and the others were aged 15 to 17.  A woman  lost control of her full-sized van, jumped the curb and hit them broadside as they sat waiting for the light to change.  They were going to pick up a pizza.  The woman was also more than double the legal limit for driving and of course has been charged with their deaths.  But they're gone and their families are grieving.

Hearing these stories, coupled with my 30 years in police work----seeing way too many tragic events----only reinforces my thoughts about our lives.  There is no guarantee for tomorrow.   I know that when I say good-bye to my sons at the end of a day, or friends, or any family member I realize it just may be the last time we'll see each other.  The chances are we will live to see another day and most likely will but there's always the possibility that something could go wrong.  There is a lot of tragedy in the world every day.  If at the end of the day everyone gets home in one piece it's an accomplishment.  It also makes one realize how insignificant collecting antique telephones is in the Grand scheme of things.  But it does help to take our minds off all the bad in the world.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Thanks for that post. It just helps to sometimes talk a bit about things that are hard to get our heads around.

I remember the first Major league Ballgame I ever attended. I was 11 years old it was 1961, when the Angels first started up, and they played at Chavez Ravine where the Dodgers play, It was against the Tigers...
Dan

Dennis Markham

That was probably when they were the California Angles, before they were the Anaheim Angels and ultimately the Los Angeles Angles.  I was only 6 in 1961 so I didn't follow baseball then.  I've been a Tigers fan since moving back to Michigan in 1971.  I usually make 8-12 games a season.  I'm going tomorrow afternoon against the White Sox.  We'll be lucky if the temperatures get to 50 degrees.

Dan/Panther

They started as the Los Angeles Angels, then when they went to Anaheiim, Anaheim being unkown for the most part they settled on California Angels for years, then they went to Anaheim Angels  after Gene Autrey died, then when they sold them here recently, they went back to Los Angeles Angels, which I hate. L.A. hasn't contributed a dimew to the Angels.
Dan

Dennis Markham

When I was in 10th grade I had a friend that just moved here from Anaheim.  He told me that in his mind they were the Anaheim Angles.  He went to high school there.  His family ultimately moved back after about a year and I haven't heard from him since.  But I always remembered how adamant he was about the team being in Anaheim.

Dan/Panther

I liked The California Angels, Anaheim Angels always sounded so minor league.

The thing I can't get out of my head, is what he said to his dad that morning on the phone.

"Dad, I want you and Mom to fly out here to California for tonights game, I feel something really special is going to happen, and I want you both here"......

Those words are goin to echo in his Dads head for the rest of his life.,....

6 shutout innings was something very special, if only that was enough.
D/P