News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first AE80 in color!

Started by Adam, April 10, 2014, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Coincidentally to just recently posting to a thread here by DebbieDoo that I was looking for one, I just got this AE80 off eBay.  It's my first non-black AE80.  I'm really happy with it. It did not come with the GTE number card, I phonied that up and installed it.

However, while installing it, I think I may have broken the finger wheel.  It still works, it dials OK and the finger wheel stays in place without moving on the dial mounting spider fingers, however, it does not "snap" into place.  I think I may have broken the little part of the finger wheel where the metal finger snaps into it.

Or am I missing some trick as to the correct procedure for reattaching this finger wheel?

Also, the phone came with a 50~ frequency selective ringer (which I confirmed does not ring on my home system).

So, I guess now I'm in the market for a new AE80 solid face clear plastic finger wheel and an AE80 straight line ringer.  No hurry on either, though...  But if someone has one or the other laying around...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

GTE Rick

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Adam

Ah, well, after a day or two in moderate use, the "broken" finger wheel did come off the dial mounting plate's spider fingers as I was trying to dial.  I guess I do need a new one.

I was thinking I would be on the eBay lookout for a cheap black or badly faded AE80 I could use for parts, but I'd rather find the parts without retiring a working phone.  I see that oldphoneworks.com has NOS AE finger wheels for $10.  Anybody know where I could get them for cheaper?

The thing still needs a straight line ringer too...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

Do you have a picture of where it mounts? There are several different AE fingerwheels.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

It's this style.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

I think I may have one. I will let you after I dig through my parts pile. I believe I got a bunch of kits from Steve Hilsz a few years back. NOS fingerwheels with the mountings, maybe he has more?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

Update: My cream colored AE-80 is now complete, thanks to a cheep organ-donor black AE-80 I received today from eBay.  The new finger wheel and straight-line ringer transplanted nicely.

Anybody need an AE 50~ frequency selective ringer before I chuck it?  You can have it for shipping, but I believe it won't ring on a regular telephone line...

Also available if you need it, for shipping only, is an AE-80 base (nice, only slight metal rot around the feet), a black AE-80 shell in fair/nice condition, some minor scuffing on one side, and a black dial number plate (worn and some scuffing on face around right side).

I'll be keeping the phone's dial guts (because they're the first part to go on these) and its nice handset/handset cord for my parts stock...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Surplus AE80 parts spoken for.  They are going to a nice home.  :-)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820