News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular plug attachment

Started by guitar1580, January 19, 2011, 01:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

Is there a some sort of crimping tool used to attach the small clear plastic modular plugs to a vintage cloth or vinyl mounting cord, as shown in the pic?  If so, are these plugs reliable on vintage cords?  Thx.

Josh P

rdelius

You can buy a cheap plastic tool , possibly at Radio Shack.This will not work on the old vintage cloth cords. Some refurbishes (phoneco) might sell the modern plastic cordage with cloth covering for this tool. This cord is thinner and flatter than the real thing though
Robby

Jim Stettler

The photo shown is cloth covered Flat mod cord. You can put line or handsets ends on these with a modular crimp tool. Some crimpers can crimp the 3 standard sizes, others will only do 1 or 2.
Line cord is 6P
Handset is 4P
RJ45 style is 8P

I have seen cloth covered Round mod cords before. These would require ends that are made for round cables.

I don't think you would have much luck crimping a mod end on old cloth wire (JMO).

I do have some flat cloth covered cordage somewhere in the phone room.

Jim S.

Making an old handset mod:   You can take a handset mod jack, dremel the excess plastic off of it and fit it inside most old handsets.
Then you can run the cord thru the handset hole and crimp a Mod end (inside) the handset. on the phone side you mount a jack inside the housing.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.