News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Decoding metal 302 housings

Started by poplar1, March 08, 2014, 08:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotophor

Quote from: Brinybay on March 21, 2014, 10:16:37 PML281 with a 2-41 base date.
Very nice photo, but it says "A281", not "L281".
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Matilo Telephones

Some brainfarts from me.

The codes are stamped, not molded. Right? So no mold number. It is silly to stamp it in afterwards.

Always ending in 1,2, or 3. But the sample is too small to be sure yet. Perhaps there is also no 4? Perhaps week number within a month? Shift number does not seem to make sense to me, if the rest of the code does not correspond to a date.

Letters: later in the year corresponds to a letter higher in the alfabet. That is clear.

So, no mold number, but batch number?

Was there only one production facility making these? Siemens had different letters for different production plants.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Greg G.

Quote from: Scotophor on March 22, 2014, 02:48:17 AM

By golly, you're right!  I re-shot the pic after taking some white-out and smearing over the marking to give it more contrast.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on March 11, 2014, 06:37:31 PM
<snip> then the numbers stamped at the top of the handle, above the receiver cavity, will indicate the date of manufacture. For example: "20" would indicate 2/40 or 2/50. "100" would mean 10/40 or 10/50. You can then probably eliminate one of the two years: if it is solid core, it is the older date.
Great topic, and highly valuable information, Gentlemen! Thanks, so much,for sharing all your findings.

The 7/39 302 that I just received has the date above the RX cavity of '79'. RX date of 5/7/40. TX date 7/39. Solid handset. All seems tickety-boo, with base and ringer dates of 7/39, as well.

I will try to get 'under the hood' of some of my metal 302's, to add to the database, this weekend. This is fun, exciting, and informative! Keep up the good work!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

This Metal 302 has a shell marking of "B243"
Base is dated 3/41, and may well be totally unrelated to this phones origins.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Scotophor

Quote from: Brinybay on March 22, 2014, 01:50:45 PM
By golly, you're right!
No worries, I'll bet you're not the only member whose camera sees better than he does.  ;)

Greg G.

Quote from: Scotophor on March 22, 2014, 11:07:54 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on March 22, 2014, 01:50:45 PM
By golly, you're right!
No worries, I'll bet you're not the only member whose camera sees better than he does.  ;)

You're absolutely right on that!  I even took a picture of paint can instructions because the print was too small to read even with my glasses on!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on March 09, 2014, 01:47:51 AM
C'mon guys. Check your metal 302s. We need more examples.
Opened a few tonight, still have more to go.

9/40 baseplate, ringer, and III/40 induction coil. H-1 vermillion interior markings. I 43  housing stamp.
9/40 302

7/39 baseplate, ringer, and III/39 induction coil. H-1 vermillion interior markings. G113 housing stamp.
7/39 302
Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on March 09, 2014, 01:47:51 AM
C'mon guys. Check your metal 302s. We need more examples.
Couple more examples, so far tonight, for the ever-growing database:

2/42 302A/W, 4th pic down..., and here
2/42 baseplate, ringer, and I  /42 induction coil. H-1 vermillion interior markings, with three horizontal vermillion bars after. "B2 1" housing stamp. AE? dial, stamped "TA-45/GT". F1W handset. Hand-lettered "302 A/W" on exterior of baseplate.

'3x?-'52 302...

6/50 baseplate, 3/47 ringer, with 1 steel bell, 1 brass. III/52 induction coil. S/C 'Horsehoof' handset. Absolutely no discernible interior stamping, external H-1 above mousehole. 8)

This is growing into a very useful info resource, imho. Any chance it could find a 'Sticky' home, Moderators? Just asking, and as always, I defer to your good judgement. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

So far there have been no date markings on  housings made before 2-38. And no large plungers before 11-37. So the housing on the mixed-dates phone was probably made between 11-37 and 2-38.

Also, the H-1 outside was discontinued before 11-38.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on March 25, 2014, 11:43:09 PM
So far there have been no date markings on  housings made before 2-38. And no large plungers before 11-37. So the housing on the mixed-dates phone was probably made between 11-37 and 2-38.

Also, the H-1 outside was discontinued before 11-38.
Thanks, as always, for the enlightening, informative reply, David! I certainly hope that you already know how greatly it is appreciated, Sir!
<soapbox>
C'mon, Gals, (and even Guys too, wth)?; get out your screwdrivers, wee-itty flashlight, and magnification, if needed!) ;)

Lets get some more empirical evidence that reinforces what is already here. Numbers add not only to the database, but the resource we provide for the future, here at the CRPF.

Do a couple a night, or as time permits. It ain't hurt me, so far, lol!;D
</soapbox>

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Found a metal 300-series, (a 250AW) I had overlooked, and opened it up tonight, to gather more info for the database.I found the following:

11/41 baseplate.
No ringer, no condensor, no coil, so no dates there.
Vermillion AA1 stamped in shell
F1W handset
11-13-41 RX element, III@12-o'clock, 31@approx 10-11-o'clock position,on RX cavity lip
11-41 TX date, IV 41 TX contact date.
No discernible date stamp inside metal case. I looked at great length, from many angles. None visible outside, either. Hmmm. ???

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

davidbholcomb

I took apart my 302 today to get the info to add to the database and could not find a number on the base. Wonder what that means? My housing has the H3 above the mouse hole and stamped inside E103
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Scotophor

Quote from: davidbholcomb on April 08, 2014, 12:30:54 AMI took apart my 302 today to get the info to add to the database and could not find a number on the base. Wonder what that means? My housing has the H3 above the mouse hole and stamped inside E103
Well, if this is an original unaltered phone, the "II-38" coil date, "4-38" ringer date, and "E10" (+ 3) markings seem to fall right together. If it isn't on the other side, maybe the base date is hidden under one of the other components, or maybe it just doesn't have one. Refurbished phones often have smears of black paint on the underside, covering up original markings. Do you see anything like this on your base?

davidbholcomb

Quote from: Scotophor on April 08, 2014, 01:55:48 AM
Refurbished phones often have smears of black paint on the underside, covering up original markings. Do you see anything like this on your base?

No I do not see any paint smears on the underside of the base.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.