News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got an EARLY Black WE500. I am pumped !!!!!

Started by Dan, April 24, 2013, 12:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Very interesting. My 12-1950 was closer with all it's dates, but this one did have a 1949 part. The dial sounds strange-like a little coffee grinder. (I will lube it).

1)  Shell dated 11-24-1951. Probably was refurbed 62 years ago

2)  Front of the dial, my first "curly" operator

3)  Back of dial the earliest I have ever had or seen in person  March 1950!

4)  Early 2-1950 network

5L)  Handset elements are all 1-1950

5R )  Look at the date of the G-1 Handset!!! 1949!

6L)  guts shot inside...

Even had a rare original bonus card under the sticker

6R) 

It is dirty and I think a nice straight cord for the handset would make it more authentic! I am very happy with  my purchase.  :)

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

PS it works all the way, once I moved the slate wire off ground to L2
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Cool, major nice score here.  And a 49' handset to boot!  Jealous!

What's the date on the handset cord? 

Does anyone know when the dial bezel was changed from the curly "operator"? 

You really got a great deal.

Dan

Handset cord had no date, probably a recent replacement. Based on my knowledge the curly operator started in 1949 after the Dan/P 1947-1948 Z operator  prototype  and was used till 3-1950 (my phones date). I have a 12-1950 with the small font operator  . So the curly operator vanished between 3-50 and 12-50.

It is cool putting actual dates to this history we all know about. Anyone know of a curly operator plate dated after 3-1950?

LarryInMichigan

My 12/50 500 also has the later style "Operator".

Larry

JorgeAmely

Dan:
Very nice snag. Be careful with the numbers wheel. Someone mentioned long time ago that you shouldn't wash with water because of water soluble coatings on the wheel. Perhaps other forum members can confirm or deny this. Seeing the components that belong to 1949 and 1950 puts your phone in an entire selected category of model 500 (maybe the most original parts?)

Congratulations! We should talk on our old phones one of these days.   ;D
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Very cool, Dan!  I don't know what the dial bezel is made with but do remember someone referring to the early ones as "overlays".  I know it's not sandwiched plastic like the later ones, so don't try sanding it.  What Jorge says is good advice.  Just be careful with it.  Very cool that the handset is from '49.

Jim Stettler

The dial ring appers to be back painted. The yellow tinge is from the clear plastic yellowing.
Great score.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Tom B

Congrats, Dan;) Love the '49 handset. Great score, mate.
Tom

paul-f

Quote from: Dan on April 30, 2013, 09:34:58 AM

Based on my knowledge the curly operator started in 1949 after the Dan/P 1947-1948 Z operator  prototype  and was used till 3-1950 (my phones date). I have a 12-1950 with the small font operator  . So the curly operator vanished between 3-50 and 12-50.

It is cool putting actual dates to this history we all know about. Anyone know of a curly operator plate dated after 3-1950?

From previous discussions, I recorded sightings from 10-49 to 6-50.

The back of the 10-49 dial is shown under Dan's dial here:
   http://www.paul-f.com/we500_Early.html#Dial

The earliest reported sighting for next style (small letter straight OPERATOR) was 10-50.

That narrows the gap a bit.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

There was also "Operator" in the traditional style w/ a slightly larger font. I have one of those plates  on a 1958 F# clear 500.
I have also seen the font on early black sets.
Jim

The photo of my 500 is on the thread for the conference call w/ Dan/Panther's phone.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE40FAN

Dan,

Very cool to see.   You really did score on that phone I am envious of collection :o

Dan

McHeath

It's funny how these very rare phones will pop up once and awhile on E-bay in the hands of sellers who don't realize what they are.  They are the phone world equivalent of the Holy Grail, and would go for serious money if they were well presented. 

I guess it's lucky for us the sellers don't do any homework and just think it's an old hunk of junk phone. ;)