News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What modular plug do I use for a handset?

Started by recyklotron, July 31, 2012, 01:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Hi,
Going through my project phones I have several in need of new modular plugs on the handsets. What is the number I search for and any suggestions of where to purchase? I picked up some line cord plugs at RadioShack but it seems they don't carry the ones for the handsets.
Is any brand better than another & are the ones from China dependable?
TIA,
Joanthan/recyklotron

twocvbloke

They're generally known as RJ10 plugs, being narrower than RJ11 and RJ12 plugs... :)

TelePlay

They are available on eBay in quantites from 4 to100. Here's a link to 50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120960133065  ( dead link 8-23-18 )

You need a crimper that is RJ10 compatible. Many RJ11 crimpers have that extra die slot.

recyklotron

Thanks guys. I've got the crimper. It was the first thing I picked up after 'discovering' 2 boxes of vintage telephones, 10 altogether, in our storage unit. Thanks to the Forum I have repaired 1. With this info I should be able to put 2 more back in service although I haven't checked to see if there is anything else wrong w/ them. But..since joining a couple of weeks ago we have purchased 3 additional telephones. One. a Genie ($20 in an antique shop) has the broken plug. The 2nd, is a 1969 black WE500 L/M ($5 @ the flea)which works great but has lots of scratches. The 3rd is a 1980s? working ITT 'Own-a-Phone' repro of an early cradle model(also$5@ the flea). Almost forgot, someone gave me a painted pink WE500 1963 which I think I will make my take apart & try to put it back together phone as it is in really miserable condition!

Phonesrfun

Radio Shack carried them in the past.  I don't know about now, or maybe via their online store.
-Bill G

recyklotron

I did try RadioShack in person & on-line but no luck. I did not ask if they could be ordered.
I found these on the web listed as 4P4C but as RJ22 not RJ10. I measured one on a modular cord that I have @ 7.5mm which matches these.

http://tinyurl.com/dyt4tu7   ( dead  link  8-23-18 )

TelePlay

Quote from: recyklotron on August 01, 2012, 07:15:51 PM
I did try RadioShack in person & on-line but no luck. I did not ask if they could be ordered.
I found these on the web listed as 4P4C but as RJ22 not RJ10. I measured one on a modular cord that I have @ 7.5mm which matches these.

http://tinyurl.com/dyt4tu7

RadioSnack has fewer and fewer component items daily. I'm surprised they still carry spade lugs but discontinued the crimper for those lugs years ago. Seems  like a good price for 100, low shipping and no minimum order, which can be a killer at some sites.

From another site: "There is no difference at all - both terms can be used interchangeably. Both are RJ10 / RJ22: 4P4C = 4 Position 4 Conductor - and are used most commonly for Telephone Handset cables."

twocvbloke

Over here, Maplin has also been getting rid of more and more of their components and just selling cheap junk in it's place, kind of sad really, but I guess fewer people are buying individual parts to build and repair electronics... :-\

recyklotron

They have the lowest price I have found so far but I am just starting my telephone repairing/collecting & can't help but wonder if I will ever use 100 handset cord plugs!

TelePlay

Quote from: recyklotron on August 01, 2012, 09:30:35 PM
They have the lowest price I have found so far but I am just starting my telephone repairing/collecting & can't help but wonder if I will ever use 100 handset cord plugs!

You probably won't but at that price, you can't go wrong. Better to have more than to run out. And, occasionally, one doesn't attach quite right so you have to cut it off and put another one on. And, you can always sell them in smaller quantities. For $10, you can't go wrong. Look at it this way, Radio Shack sells 10 RJ11 line plugs for $5 so you at the price you found, you are buying 20 for $10 and getting 80 for free.  :D