News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another (Trim)phone broken in transit!

Started by andy1702, February 23, 2017, 01:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

It's an interesting option, I've seen other people use glow-in-the-dark paints before now (either painted inside the dial or onto a piece of card that is cut-to-fit behind the dial face), but that stuff could work too, it's just whether or not the phone received enough light to keep it lit up long enough, after all, the tritium tube illumination was to make the phone visible at night akin to WE Princess and AE Starlite phones, but without the need for external power, it was just withdrawn from the dials because of fears about radioactivity (which is negligible with Tritium, can't even penetrate paper, let alone human skin)... :)

Just a shame current-day tritium tubes are so expensive, but I guess they're being made in fewer numbers these days with restrictions on radioactive materials being shipped about the world, even though a Banana is more radioactive than a tritium tube...  ;D

19and41

I was thinking something like the cord could be a less messy and more easily reversed option to paint.  Then if it weren't the thing, not such a great loss.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

JimHyak

To go back to the original topic....
I always send packing instructions when purchasing a phone. Besides isolating the handset from the body of the phone, the box needs to be filled tightly with packing, and not those silly airbags (which are not reusable by the way, they are lucky to make a single trip). My mailman says he has seen the boxes tossed into a floor to ceiling pile, anything crushable will be. And it seems marking "Fragile " is an invitation to toss the box. I don't blame all the people handling the packages, but it only takes a few to cause a lot of damage. That, and company policies that put reducing handling time above all else create the situation we have today. A couple of days ago I received a box containing a mouthpiece that couldn't have been more crushed if you drove a truck over it. Thankfully it was packed well enough.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

andy1702

I might give the luminous paint on a piece of card a try. Another thing I was wondering about would be an LED shining down the end of a clear acrylic tube fibre-optic style. Could an LED run off the line voltage?
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

You can run an LED off line voltage, but you'll need a dropper circuit to lower the power down to what the LED can take (which also depends on what LED you use), aswell as have it regulated so that when the line rings, the LED doesn't get fried by ringing current... :)

This rather old video (I remember seeing it about the time it was new!!) loosely describes how to do it, but doesn't go into detail of what is required to power the LED light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaLGvJkoP8