News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 handset disassembly.

Started by Greg G., January 09, 2010, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Funny how when I try to google on the net for something it brings me here.  This is in reference to this thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.0  I was actually looking for the official instructions from WE on disassembling these, but whatever works, I didn't want to use the "by guess and by golly" method I usually use.

I've got my handset down to where I'm trying to get the receiver cup off.  I'm wary of using a strap wrench after having ruined a G1 cap, but I did use it gently to get the transmitter off w/o much force, but the receiver cup is a different story.  Tried sticking it in the freezer for 15 minutes, that didn't help, so I squirted it with a little Liquid Wrench and am letting it sit for a while.  I must have moved it some, because the spacer turns about a couple of turns.

I'm doing this in order to replace the handset cord and also cleaning, which brings me to two questions.  Do the brass cups come out also?  If not, how do you thread the handset through?  There doesn't seem to be much of an opening in there.

I also wanted to give it a bath in Oxyclean, but that brings me back to trying to get the remainder of the metallic parts (the brass cups) out, or should I nix the Oxy bath and use something else?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Greg:

The handset cord is all contained in the transmitter part you have exposed.  there are only internal metal contacts that are molded in the handset that go up to the receiver.  So you do not need to take the receiver off for mounting a new handset cord.  Cleaning is another matter, and that outer bakelite ring can be a bugger to get off, once it is lodged on there real tight.  that is why there are two hole on each side.  WE actually had a caliper-like tool that had little tips that fit in the holes to unstick the things.  If you have a strap wrench, you should be able to unstick it.  I know you had a problem with cap from a G handset, but I did not follow how it was that it wound up damaging it.  You might post a picture of the strap wrench.

PS:

I am going to try to get ahold of Charles M.  Here in Walla Walla today and see if he has a ringer.

Cheers.
-Bill G

Jester

Except for cleaning purposes, you have this torn down as far as you need to to make repairs.  The E1 is a solid handle, so all your cord terminals are under the tranmitter cup--the receiver conductors are cast inside the handle, running between the R & W screws under the transmitter to the corresponding conductors under the receiver.  The threaded brass sleeves that the tranmitter & receiver screw onto are actually part of the casting and are non-removable.  Back to the receiver--that "spacer" is actually a lock ring.  If you are able to turn it a thread or two on the receiver housing, I'm surprised the housing won't come off the handle.  I have removed these before by sticking the threaded metal end in a vise(with an old rubber bungee cord wrapped around the threads).  Your strap wrench should do the same job.  Just be sure you place it on the exposed threads & not the lock ring.  
Stephen

bingster

If you really want to get it all to pieces (and I completely understand that urge), then I'd agree that the strap wrench is the way to go. Somewhere I've got the BSP for disassembly, but what it lists is just common sense and doesn't reveal anything we don't already do.  You really don't need to get it apart, even for cleaning, though.  I'd just go after it with some soapy water and a toothbrush, and then follow up with wiping it with rags.  It'll do a great job.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

There was a special set of tools made to disassemble e handsets, they were a spanner type pleir, It was a set of 2  and also a HTF locking block. The originals wore out after the tools were discontinued, so it is hard to find the originals in good condition.

Jim Aita had some repro's made, his had hardened replacable pins and were very nice. These used to sell for around a $100 a set.
Somewhere I have a set of the repro's. I have never used them.

For most purposes strap wrenches do the job.
I have also seen a web site where someone made a jig. to disassemble E handsets. This was made of wood. They drilled a hole the same diameter as the rings and used  nails (ground smooth) as pins. The wood was split for the ring to slide into and then clamped, the jig was then clamped into a vise . You rotated the handset and the jig would hold the rings .
This was before collectors discovered strap wrenches.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

I think I have a set of the repros, Jim.   They have removable pins, and no KS numbers stamped on them.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

Bingster, That sounds like them. The "optional" block-lock  is only needed on the really tight handsets. I only have a few  E handsets, and those I was able to open with a strap wrench.

I have been told that the  problem with  using the tools is that sometimes you break the parts (this applies to the KS and the repro's).  I think it is best to try the strap wrenches first.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Bill

Perhaps another question is this. While one hand is gripping the handle of the strap wrench, what is the other hand doing? If you grip the handset in the middle of the handle (as you would do if you were holding the phone to your ear), I would think that you could torque the entire assembly enough to twist the transmitter cup right off the handle. Oops! Not good. Try to hold the handset by the transmitter cup itself as much as you can, and don't let it creep down toward the middle of the handle.

Bill

Greg G.

The strap wrench isn't working on it.  Putting some Liquid Wrench on it backfired because it makes the strap wrench slide, even thought I've wiped it clean.  OPW has a very pricey tool for these, but I'm not going to spend $100 on it.  There must be an equivalent tool available for much less, but I'm not sure what to look for.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Try wrapping it in masking tape and using the strap wrench over it.  That should prevent the slipping (I think). 
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

I've been able to increase the grip with a strap wrench by wrapping the part in good old-fashioned friction tape.

Vinyl electric tape is good also, but friction tape will really improve the grip.

Greg G.

No masking or friction tape handy, but I do have "the handy man's secret weapon" - duct tape.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I miss Red Green.  Duct tape should work great for this, too.  Give it a shot!
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

And, on that note, here's how to make a cordless telephone out of a (Northern Electric) 500 set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYOu2oKZJ0

benhutcherson

And, lest we not forget a lesson on telephone etiquette while we're at it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYOu2oKZJ0