News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

50's WE500 not dialing or ringing

Started by benkeys, July 10, 2012, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

A picture of the contacts on the back of the dial might be helpful.

Larry

benkeys

I couldnt see the contacts, only the gear moving until i pulled the dial and removed the plastic cover.. . However i can tell you what i get when using an ohm meter between the F and RR terminals. I measure continuity (6 ohms) then while its "dialing" it still reads the 6 ohms until the dial returns i get infinite resistance.  So i pulled the dial, got pics of the back side. The first pic was with the dial in the resting position, the other is the dial being held in mid-turn. Only the set of contacts on the outside move. Btw, that is a 7D-3 dial from 1956.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

LM Ericsson

Quote from: benkeys on July 10, 2012, 04:51:54 PM
what difference does it make to what color wires i use? the yellow wire was not in use so i am using it in place of the green wire, due to the terminal on the plug end breaking. I'm not even using the 4 prong connector. I am using a modular plug with screws on the back of it.
The green wire is important. It is the tip wire, enabling it to ring.
Regards,
-Grayson

LM Ericsson

The plastic part on resting position looks out of place. The cylindrical part has a ''bump'' on it for the contacts. The bump should be resting on the contact when the dial is at rest position.
Regards,
-Grayson

benkeys

Is it fixable or should i just put it back together and keep it as a parts phone? I was reimbursed in full by the seller. I already have my eye on another phone that IS in working condition. Its a 1960 with late 50's parts. Its in much much better condition.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

LM Ericsson

It is fixable. All you need to do is get a flathead screwdriver and you can pry the plastic parts off. All you need to do is put it back on so the bump is resting on the contact. Just make sure to put the parts back on in the correct order.
Regards,
-Grayson

poplar1

The pulsing contacts (across F and RR)  should be touching (continuity) except during the 60 milli-second interruptions pulsing out the number dialed. I think you are saying they are staying open once the dial returns to rest. Do the contacts close together only once you start winding up the dial, in other words, once the plastic piece with rectangular end which moves out of the way? If so, the contacts would need to be adjusted so that they are touching while the dial is at rest as well as when you are turing the finger wheel clockwise.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Those dials are easy to fix, and there are plenty of spares lying around as well.  The "7D" is the dial model, and  "3" means that the phone should be black.

Larry

poplar1

Disregard my above comment if you have dial tone but are unable to break dial tone. I was thinking you now have no dial tone since you are measuring infinite resistance across green and blue dial wires.

benkeys

Once i let go of the dial and right before it stops, it goes infinite,once it stops i get continuity again. No matter how i adjust them it wont break the dial tone.

LarryInMichigan

If there is still dial tone when the pulsing contacts are separated, something else is bypassing them.

Larry

benkeys

Its trying to dial, after 2-3 tries of 1 number it will go silent but then it doesnt pulse.

poplar1

Can you see the contacts opening up (7 times if you dial a 7)? This is of course the same as removing either the green wire from RR or the blue wire from F, which you said did kill the dial tone...You can also disconnect the white dial leads that short out the receiver so that you can make sure the dial tone does not go away while you are turning the fingerwheel clockwise; then you should hear loud clicks as the dial returns. You can always send the dial off to Steve Hilsz for repair. Sorry I haven't been able to help you.

benkeys

I'm not too concerned about this phone, and all you guys did your best to help me and i'm thankful for the help i received. I'll either keep it as a parts phone, as i'm sure parts will fit my SC 554 and i am going to get another WE 500. Heck maybe i'll get another dial for this one as long as it doesnt cost too much.