News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 283: Nile Green AE 50 - Ended 06-16-17

Started by TelePlay, June 09, 2017, 06:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

Just listed about an hour and a half ago in a 7 day auction with no reserve and starting at $199.00 is an very nice AE 50 in Nile Green with chrome trim and a NOS Extensicord. The seller provided very good internal and external pictures showing a phone in very good condition. Since being listed, the phone received 1 bid from 1 buyer so the phone will sell. Question is for how much? So, who best knows what the phone will sell for when the auction ends?

NOTE:  We will use a $5 gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, keep your guess at least $5 away from prior guesses for this contest. All guesses, original and a single allowed revised guess if needed, must be submitted at least 24 hours before the auction ends.

The seller listed it as an "RARE ART DECO NILE GREEN AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC AE TYPE 50 MONOPHONE TELEPHONE WOW" with the item condition as "Used" and "Excellent original condition. NO chips, cracks, or discoloration, just very minor wear from age and use. Cord is a NOS original Extensicord I put on it about 25 years ago. Decal is original. Dial number card is an old original. This is one of the best Nile Green AE 50 wall sets you will find anywhere." and with the auction listing description saying "Up for bid is a truly outstanding NILE GREEN AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC TYPE 50 WALL MONOPHONE.  AE phones of this era are classic, and are the epitome of art deco design.  This particular phone is straight out of my own collection.  I have owned it for over 30 years.  It is in excellent original condition, with no chips, cracks, or discoloration.  The Nile Green color is still exceptionally nice, even after all these years.  It might exhibit a few very minor scuffs and scrapes from age and use, but that is about it.  It has never been buffed, just cleaned with telephone cleaner.  I replaced the cord with a NOS AE extensicord many years ago.  The cord is a bit dusty from years of display.  The decal on top is old and original, not a reproduction.  The dial turns and returns normally.  The dial card is an old original.  Inside, the phone is very clean.  All the mesh covering the vents is still in place.  There is a schematic inside.  You would be hard pressed to find a better Nile Green AE 50 available anywhere.  THIS TELEPHONE HAS NOT BEEN TESTED, AND ACTUAL WORKING CONDITION IS UNKNOWN.  This is truly an exceptional example of a Nile Green AE TYPE 50 MONOPHONE.  Don't miss out on your opportunity to add this amazing telephone to your collection. "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332258255724

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list,

. . . for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$    370.00 - Fabius  ( 2 )
$    395.00 - mentalstampede  ( 3 )
$    426.00 - tallguy58  ( 5 )
$    485.00 - nolan613  ( 4 )
$    550.00 - HarrySmith  ( 1 )
$    650.00 - Fabius  ( 6 ) 2
$    665.00 - 19and41  ( 10 )
$    670.00 - Pourme  ( 14 )
$    678.00 - skyrider  ( 7 )
$    725.00 - KaiserFrazer67  ( 9 )
$    775.00 - HarrySmith  ( 12 ) 2
$    820.00 - david@london  ( 11 )
$    870.00 - AE_Collector  ( 15 )
$    950.00 - andre_janew  ( 13 )
$ 1,150.00 - JimHyak  ( 8 )

Second Chance S C O R E B O A R D

$ 1,750.00 - wds  ( 102 )
$ 1,958.00 - tallguy58  ( 101 )
$ 2,017.00 - 19and41  ( 103 )
$ 3,750.00 - Pourme  ( 107 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $3,227.00
$ 3,850.00 - JimHyak  ( 108 )
$ 4,000.00 - wds  ( 106 )
$ 4,500.00 - HarrySmith  ( 105 )
$ 5,515.00 - WEBellSystemChristian  ( 104 )

Early Morning Auction Status

06-09-17      Listed      $     199.00
06-10-17      4 bids      $     211.50  (  3 bidders )
06-11-17      9 bids      $     405.00  (  4 bidders )
06-12-17    10 bids      $     410.00
06-13-17    11 bids      $     410.00
06-14-17    11 bids      $     410.00
06-15-17    13 bids      $     441.00  (  5 bidders )
06-16-17    21 bids      $  2,932.00  (  7 bidders )
06-16-17      7bidders, 22 bids $3,227.00 Ended at 2:09:09PM PDT

HarrySmith

$550.00

This is another one from Jon. Nice phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

mentalstampede

My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

nolan613

Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

JimHyak

Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

unbeldi

I was surprised that this nile green set had such an old dial.

The ringer in this set is the same type as that installed in the Jon's red set, low-impedance but this time it is for 20 Hz frequency-selective ringing, so it should work on today's telephone lines.   This type of ringer,  D-56465-y, was supplied only separately as a parts kit, without gongs and without the mounting bracket.  I wasn't aware before the display of these two sets, that these ringers were also used in the Type 50 wall sets.  I was under the impression that they were only for replacement in 34A3 sets, so I am glad we got the detailed internal pictures from Jon.

The original ringer of this telephone, from the factory, was a straight-line high-impedance ringer.

I also found it interesting to note the type number of this set, L-5114.  I don't think I had seen a 5114 type before, I had my list only up to 5113, which was a Jade Green set.   From this, it is possible that the colored sets in the mid-1950s had special order numbers, in addition to the letter specifier for the color, which is J for Nile Green, as shown in the stamp on the rear of the set:   L5114 DSL J  NX-4

It is a bit hard to read the printing on the wiring diagram, but I seem to detect that it states  L5114 B SL.    This would explain the old dial, if the set was originally a manual telephone.  This is contradicted however, by the "D" in the type stamp on the rear.

unbeldi

Perhaps Jon could be so kind to let us know what the wiring diagram  part number is.  It is impossible to read reliably.

I think I can make out    D-530  (which is the easy guess)  but there are three more digits at the end.    D-530702 ?

This would help determine the meaning of the 5114 type.

KaiserFrazer67

-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

Jon Kolger

The form number on the schematic is D-53702 Issue 15.  I bought this phone from another collector about 30 years ago.  He wasn't much older than me, so he had to have purchased it from someone else.  These phones are about 70 years old now, so there is no telling what sort of changes were made to this telephone (or any other telephone, for that matter) over all those years.  I replaced the cord on this phone, and I probably added that dial card (I don't remember that far back).  My point is that these telephones are not necessarily found today in the same configuration in which they were originally manufactured.  I was a telephone man for 30 years.  We would constantly disassemble new phones in the box to rob parts off of them to fix telephones in service. Or sometimes new in the box phones would have a defective part.  That's just the way it was  Collectors can sometimes do the same thing, take a part off this phone to put on that phone.  So I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a dial that appears to be older what you think it should be.  Most of these phones have evolved over time.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 12, 2017, 08:25:26 AM
The form number on the schematic is D-53702 Issue 15.  I bought this phone from another collector about 30 years ago.  He wasn't much older than me, so he had to have purchased it from someone else.  These phones are about 70 years old now, so there is no telling what sort of changes were made to this telephone (or any other telephone, for that matter) over all those years.  I replaced the cord on this phone, and I probably added that dial card (I don't remember that far back).  My point is that these telephones are not necessarily found today in the same configuration in which they were originally manufactured.  I was a telephone man for 30 years.  We would constantly disassemble new phones in the box to rob parts off of them to fix telephones in service. Or sometimes new in the box phones would have a defective part.  That's just the way it was  Collectors can sometimes do the same thing, take a part off this phone to put on that phone.  So I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a dial that appears to be older what you think it should be.  Most of these phones have evolved over time.

I certainly appreciate that, indeed.  I am just observing the changes, when possible.   But sometimes, we can also detect when a phone is pristine as manufactured.
Thanks for the form number.  D-53702 is just the standard form number as for the 5100, so it is curious that this one has a different order number.  Explanation lies still in the future...   I just wish someone had started documenting the coding patterns long ago.

With respect to the dial, isn't it reasonable to assume it was added by someone other than an installer ?  A collector ?   It seems unlikely that an installer in the 1950s would still have a dial of the 1930s on his truck.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke