News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE transmitters.

Started by Stephen Furley, July 28, 2011, 08:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Furley

Does the 80 use the same one (type 41?) as the 40?  If not, what's the difference?  They look very similar, as does the older one (type 38?).

AE_Collector

There may have been some small improvements made to the AE transmitters along the way but all of the ones you mention are interchangeable. The earlier type 38 handsets had a completely different transmitter capsule.

Terry

Stephen Furley

Thank you.  I'm still slightly confused.  I have two AE telephones, a 40 and an 80.  Both have very similar transmitter elements, The one in the 80 is marked D-38379-A and A.E. CO. 810.  The one on the 40 looks very similar, not quite identical, but the numbers seem to have worn off, and I cannot  read them.  Oldphoneworks have a type 41 transmitter on their site which looks just like the one in my 80, except that it says GTE rather than A.E. CO., so presumably mine is somewhat older.  The D-38379-A number is just as it is on mine.

They also have what they describe as a 38 type, which looks similar, but the number on the back is D-38309-A, and it's marked A.E. CO. 41 rather than 810, other than that, they look very similar, but you say that the 38 type was quite different; have they used the wrong picture for the 38 on their site?  The fact that the back is marked A.E. CO. 41 suggests that this may be the case, that this is in fact a 41 type, and the ones marked 810 are just a later version of the 41 type.  If this is the case, what does an actual 38 type look like?  I think this was the type which was used in the 34, and various other older 'phones; is this the case?

AE_Collector

Lets start with the newest style Handset, the one used on AE 80's 90's etc. The first version of this handset was called the Type 81. This handset used the style of transmitter capsule that we are talking about but still used the old "40" style receiver capsule. The older type 40 receiver capsule pressed against brass terminals in the handset rather than having screw terminals on the back of the capsule.

Then they upgraded the Handset and called it an 810. It looked identical to the type 81 but had the new receiver in it with screw terminals on the back. Later came a change to push in terminals rather than screw terminals on the receiver capsule.

One final upgrade to this handset again looked almost identical on the outside and was called the type 811. It had a newer receiver capsule again with clips and the construction of the capsule was white plastic rather than aluminum. The transmitter capsule changed to push in terminals as well rather than contacts that pressed against brass contact points. I've occasionally seen a transmitter cap that had a different contour to it than previous models, probably to better suit the new transmitter capsule. This change was at the very end of production of all AE telephone sets.

So through the entire type 81/810/811 handset run the transmitter capsule didn't change until the very end of production where as the receiver capsule went through several changes.

Before the type 81/810/811 was the type 41 handset used on 40's and 50's etc. It used the same transmitter capsule as the type 81/810 handset and the same receiver capsule as the type 81 handset.

The type 38 handset used on AE type 1, 2, 34 and 35 telephone sets I usually consider all of these AE spitcup type handsets to be type 38's but I have a feeling that only the latest version of this style handset was really called a type 38. It used the type 41 transmitter capsule and the type 41 receiver capsule and this was probably AFTER the type 41 handset had been developed for the 40's and 50's. The AE 1A telephone continued to be manufactured well into the 1950's, probably for 15 years after the introduction of the type 40 & 50 phones. So it makes sense that AE retrofitted the older spitcup handset used on the Type 1A phone with the newest technology capsules and then called it the type 38 handset.

Prior to the type 38 handset were monophone handsets (Monophone is AE's name for early handset type phones with a combined transmitter and receiver rather than seperate transmitter and receiver) that had much different and larger transmitters and receivers in them. The receivers were the metal diaphram type. I don't know what these handsets were called as opposed to the redesigned type 38 handsets.

I overly simplified my statement that the Type 38 handset used very different transmitter and receiver capsules than the type 41 handsets did. I tend to refer to ALL handsets used on the AE 1, 2, 34 & 35 as type 38 handsets but I think that in reality it was only the newest design of that handset which used the same capsules as the type 41 handset that was called the type 38 handset.

So a transmitter capsule marked type 41 is very likely correct for type 38 and type 41 handsets. Electrically I think a type 41, 81, 810 and 811 would all work with any AE phones that they would fit into.

Terry

stub

Let's not forget the 32A14 handset (AE catalog 4055 , pg. 14-15 ) Here are some pics of my handset.
     The telephones , that used this handset, didn't need a seperate induction coil . The induction coil was in the receiver. This receiver has 3 wires, where the Monophone has 2 wires. And as Terry stated it uses the metal diaphram type. The AE Catalog, 4055, said that the transmitter was of the sealed capsule type and only slightly less efficient than that of the Monophone.  Hope this helps.         stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Thanks Stub. I hadn't ever seen the inside of one of them

Terry

Stephen Furley

Thanks to both of you.  It's a bit confusing, isn't it?

Stub, That 32A14 is very strange, never seen anything like it.  Which models was it used on?

stub

Stephen ,
               It was used on  AE-32 , AE - ?  , AE- 14 . Several other AE phones used the induction coil receiver but put them in a plain #38 handset. My avatar has the induction coil receiver in it AE-14A
                Sorry it took so long to post pic. I'm on dial-up.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rdelius

I thought the type 81was designed for the older non compensating type 80 and the type 810 were for the self compensating type 80.The impedence of the units were different than the older type 41 that allowed all the line current to pass through it.I know it will still work, but will the newer transmitters get noisey after awhile on shorter loops?
Robby

AE_Collector

Quote from: rdelius on July 29, 2011, 07:45:39 AM
I thought the type 81was designed for the older non compensating type 80 and the type 810 were for the self compensating type 80.The impedence of the units were different than the older type 41 that allowed all the line current to pass through it.I know it will still work, but will the newer transmitters get noisey after awhile on shorter loops?
Robby

That is possible. I've never read anything to that effect but it is entirely possible.

Terry