"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first ever... CALL DIRECTOR!

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 20, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Quote from: G-Man on November 21, 2013, 07:40:38 AM

Here are some excerpts from a BSP relating to sets ...

Thanks for providing the background reference.  What BSP (number, issue and date) was this from?

It's always helpful to quote the specific source, as info changed from issue to issue in a BSP as changes were introduced into manufacturing.  Comparing the dates on the set and BSP can help determine whether the BSP is likely to match the set.

A list of BSPs to consult by model number is available here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#CallDirectors
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ESalter

The stains looked to be on the surface to me, I'm betting he will be able to simply wipe them off with a lightly damp cloth.  The ink used on these doesn't seem to absorb liquid very well, so even if the cardstock is stained up really bad on the back, it's likely that none of that staining will be visible on the front.  He'll just have to see how it looks when it arrives.  Knowing how mine acted, I'm optimistic this one will restore nicely.

---Eric

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on November 21, 2013, 03:26:58 PM
The stains looked to be on the surface to me, I'm betting he will be able to simply wipe them off with a lightly damp cloth.  The ink used on these doesn't seem to absorb liquid very well, so even if the cardstock is stained up really bad on the back, it's likely that none of that staining will be visible on the front.  He'll just have to see how it looks when it arrives.  Knowing how mine acted, I'm optimistic this one will restore nicely.

---Eric

Okay! Thanks, I'l be careful.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Russ Kirk on November 21, 2013, 01:25:08 PM
Quote from: ESalter on November 20, 2013, 09:17:43 PM
Original paper mats for the Call Directors might as well be made of Unobtanium. 

I was very lucky when I got my Northern Electric Call Director (3rd row is a speakerphone) that it came with 3 paper faceplates,  two saying Northern Electric and one with the Bell Canada logo.

Nice, nice!

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: brshaffer on November 21, 2013, 09:30:49 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 20, 2013, 08:53:31 PM
I hope I can clean up the line cord because that would be terrible to replace that, with all the wires and I assume the cord its self is relatively hard to find in green.

Ben, I recently cleaned a nasty handset cord by hanging it in a bucket of oxi-clean, keeping the spade lug ends out of the water and clipped to the side of the bucket.  30mins later grime that was hard to scrape off with your fingernail washed right off.  Before and after pics here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10197.msg111364#msg111364

Folks have lots of other methods out here too.  Your line cord doesn't look too far gone. 

Congrats!

Yes, I must try this, I really want to keep this cord. Just cap off the ends and I should be fine.

Ben

Dave F

The 18-button version of the Call Director which uses a line concentrator KTU is the 634.  It only has one connector at the end of the line cord.  To see a discussion about that phone CLICK HERE

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 21, 2013, 02:17:52 PM
I agree on the cord, it should clean up easy with Oxi-clean and hot water. I have cleaned cords worse than that with great results. I use the Oxi at double strength with hot, hot water, let the cord soak overnight and in the morning simply wipe it off with a sponge! From the eBay pictures it appears the mat should be salvageable also. The worst part from what I could see(it did not do well when I tried to magnify it) is the water stains. You can use tea or other such solutions to darken it uniformly and it should look fine. If you Google "making paper look old" you will find a ton of different methods to do that.

Thanks Harry!

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Okay, the bottom, (from the blurry pic) makes it hard to tell what the first number is. And I cannot tell if the 2nd and 3rd is a 24 or a 34.

Though we can conclude the last few letters/numbers are: A10

So, if Paul F is correct I have a, "624 Used with the recorded announcement frame of the No. 1 Electronic Switching System (ESS)." http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#CallDirectors

But if not, I have a 1a1 phone.. Uh oh.

So, if that is true, will I be able to use it with my 1a2?

Thanks,
Ben

Weco355aman

If this was used for a Rec Ann System you cannot make it work as a 1A2 Phone.
I have extra Real 18 and 30 button call directors that maybe we can agree on
the $.
Phil

paul-f

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 21, 2013, 06:59:13 PM

So, if Paul F is correct I have a, "624 Used with the recorded announcement frame of the No. 1 Electronic Switching System (ESS)." http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#CallDirectors

Ben,  I don't recall taking a stand on the model number, as I can't tell whether the second digit is a 2 or a 3 either.   :o

In either case, a trip to the BSPs will help you determine what components are in the set you get.

Comparing them with a 1A2-compatible Call Director will let you know where you stand.  Many of the components, like the keys and cord frame, are easily replaceable modules.  It is possible to reconfigure the set if you can find the needed parts.  Of course, it might be simpler to look for a Call Director that's already set up with the features you want.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: paul-f on November 22, 2013, 01:26:46 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 21, 2013, 06:59:13 PM

Ben,  I don't recall taking a stand on the model number, as I can't tell whether the second digit is a 2 or a 3 either.   :o

In either case, a trip to the BSPs will help you determine what components are in the set you get.

Comparing them with a 1A2-compatible Call Director will let you know where you stand.  Many of the components, like the keys and cord frame, are easily replaceable modules.  It is possible to reconfigure the set if you can find the needed parts.  Of course, it might be simpler to look for a Call Director that's already set up with the features you want.

I'm sorry, what I ment is, If my reading is correct Paul's sight says...

Okay, I'm going to have to think about this. For right now, I plan to restore it and display it, unless I can get it working.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Okay, it arrived today,

I confirm it is a model: 624A10. So, it will need converting to work. If I can convert it, could you please refer me the parts I will need?

It is an absolute mess, the face plate is messed up so I will need to try to rejuvenate it, though the casing still holds a shine with scratches, but none are deep.

The dial and keys are in need of much work as they are kind of stuck. But the center row of keys does not stay down but the outside rows do.

First video Presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOP79FMttv8&feature=youtu.be

Can I have some info on how to convert it? Well, off to restoring!

Ben

Dave F

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 23, 2013, 01:34:39 PM
<snip> Okay, it arrived today,

I confirm it is a model: 624A10......

A 624 is a VERY rare set, far rarer (and a potentially more valuable collectible) than most of the other models that were designed to work with a 1A1/1A2 key system.   My recommendation would be to clean it up and restore it as best as possible, but not to modify it in any way that could not be undone.  Maybe others have additional thoughts on this subject.

DF

PS:  Take great care when removing or replacing the cover.  The  mounting screw tabs on the back of the plastic housing are very fragile, and it is easy to break them if you are not careful.  Call Director housings are sometimes not easy to get back on once they are removed.  Don't use too much force trying to get that cover back on!

DF

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dave F on November 23, 2013, 02:15:46 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 23, 2013, 01:34:39 PM
<snip> Okay, it arrived today,

I confirm it is a model: 624A10......

A 624 is a VERY rare set, far rarer (and a potentially more valuable collectible) than most of the other models that were designed to work with a 1A1/1A2 key system.   My recommendation would be to clean it up and restore it as best as possible, but not to modify it in any way that could not be undone.  Maybe others have additional thoughts on this subject.

DF

PS:  Take great care when removing or replacing the cover.  The  mounting screw tabs on the back of the plastic housing are very fragile, and it is easy to break them if you are not careful.  Call Director housings are sometimes not easy to get back on once they are removed.  Don't use too much force trying to get that cover back on!

DF

Dave, I'm glad you told me that about the casing, or I would have probably wrecked it.

To me, it is to bad I won't be able to use it, but if it is rare, I should keep it the way it is, just clean it up and display it.

Ben

ESalter

Both of them I got from that same seller are 634's also.  You're lucky, both of mine came with chopped off silver satin cords.  My eventual intention is to hopefully make an adapter of some sort to make them capture lines like a normal Call Director would, it just won't be able to place them on hold.  I don't know for sure, but I don't know why that wouldn't be possible if one has a bunch of relays to make do whatever I want.  Someday when I get that far, I'll let you know if it works.  Like Dave said, that way the phone itself wouldn't be modified. 

When you take the cover off you'll see how the button strips work and interlock with eachother, I'm sure it'll be easy to figure out why the center row it stuck.  If you have any questions, post pictures, I'm sure there are a bunch of us that can help you along.

Also, you might find some sort of cobbled on connector inside it somewhere.  both of mine came with a short piece of cord hanging out of the phone with a 1/4 phono jack on it.  It was for a microphone and it was hooked in parallel right across the transmitter wires from the handset.

---Eric