"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Awesome Find--Right Under My Nose!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 10, 2017, 05:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 12, 2017, 05:32:31 PM
Christian....Is the green paint any better on the back, loosen the cradle and spin it around....Doug
Yep, it's much better on the back. Great idea!!

I sprayed some Fluid Film down in the threads for the cradle, after failing to get the fastener off. I'll try again later after it soaks in for awhile.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 12, 2017, 05:32:31 PM
Christian....Is the green paint any better on the back, loosen the cradle and spin it around....Doug

It's not as easy as that. It's notched to fit one way only.

Pourme

I thought it was notched, but wasn't certain...I knew someone would speak up if it was...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Dangit!  >:(

To be honest, I'm a little relieved. I've been dreading trying to remove that all night.

Well, I don't mind the flaws all that much. Worst case, I touch it up later on, but I think of it like finger marks on a candlestick shaft.

It'll look much better when the whole thing is done! :)
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Sorry...bad advice....I had never done it and didn't realize there was a notch...see you can teach an old doug new tricks  8)
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's the summary of what happened since the last update. I talked a little about it in a topic in the Restoration section, but here goes...

I got my color scanner in the mail 3 days ago. I got it set up, used a little trial and error with different colors in different lighting, and got the results I wanted with Moss Green. The paint company only accepts exact matches to Pantone, RAL, and Government/Federal colors. The scanner only gives me info for primary color percentages, and HEX code. HEX is the unique code of the color scanned, which can be used to search for similar paint colors that already exist.

I tried using a HEX-to-Pantone number converter using the HEX code I got from the scanner. Nothing that I found was even close. Everything was either too green, too brown, or too gray. I searched and searched for hours, until my Dad suggested searching RAL colors. I tried that--and found it! RAL 7009, named Green Grey. I ordered two 11oz cans in that color from the paint company for over $60 with shipping. They showed up today.

I tested some out on a cardboard box flap. Looks pretty close to me! EDIT:
As the paint on the cardboard continues to dry, it gets closer and closer to the phone's color.

As for the handset; I found an F1 on another D1 in absolutely HORRIBLE shape. It's incredibly pitted and worn...perfect for this project!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's the cap of the paint can that I used to test it on a smoother surface.

The lighter colored areas are still wet, while the darker areas are tacky. I accidentally bought water-based instead of oil-based, and while it doesn't make much difference with durability or color, I'm buying oil-based next time. This paint is definitely strange...doesn't behave at all like regular lacquer.

I do like the fume-free aspect of this, though. It smells very faintly like latex wall paint while it dries. ???
Christian Petterson

Pourme

Christian,

Oil based paint dries from the inside out. Water based dries from the outside (forms a outer shell) in. There is a difference in behavior.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's the handset after using the base color coat, followed by clearcoat. I do not like--nor do I recommend in any way--the water-based paint from Hedrix, as I explained in my other thread. I'm getting the regular lacquer next time...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19244

Overall, I'd say this turned out great. The color difference varies in different lighting, but it's still dead-on in pretty much all lighting conditions. I used U-POL Clear#1 clear coat from Amazon, and it worked great! It has a very hard, smooth, extremely glossy finish--a very professional appearance. It still needs some time to fully cure, but everything worked out very smoothly.
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Christian - The paint looks awesome in terms of both finish and color match!   Great work!!
Paul