News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Care & Feeding of TT keys

Started by Greg G., April 01, 2013, 03:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Is removing keys from a TT keypad a pita?  I want to remove the ones from the orange mutt phone I got to clean them, but I don't want to start digging into the keypad until I know more what's involved.  The workings are actually a 72 NE.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Weco355aman

Yes it is supper PITA. Most old style TT pads. 25,35 type. It is to much labor to rebuild a tt pad. The only thing i do is clean, adjust the contacts and tune it to the correct Frequency.
I've refurbished over 2000 phones (mostly 1A2) and only tried 1 time
to put a we tt pad back together.  There are springs under each button, and
7 electrical contacts that make the row and columns.  I rebuild (take apart) the key strips for new style call directors and 6/10 button wall phones and they are much easy er to work on but still a pita. You would be much better off replacing the tt dial if you cannot clean it up.
Phil

Greg G.

Quote from: Weco355aman on April 01, 2013, 09:52:31 PM
Yes it is supper PITA.

So I found out...

You would be much better off replacing the tt dial if you cannot clean it up.

I'm looking for a NE keypad.  I have available parts for the same in a baggie...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on April 02, 2013, 02:08:26 AM
Yes it is supper PITA.

So I found out...

You would be much better off replacing the tt dial if you cannot clean it up.

I'm looking for a NE keypad.  I have available parts for the same in a baggie...
I used to have some spares of these - I will check and let you know if I still have spare NE ones. I may have used up all the spares I had. They differed from the WE ones in a few ways, not just the colour coding of the wires, but in that they had a built-in polarity protector. resulting in polarity not being an issue with them.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001