and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - December 2017

Started by AE_Collector, December 01, 2017, 10:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - December 2017  *** Vote for TWO ***

Pourme's AE 880 Speakerphone in Gardenia White $50 plus $22 shipping on eBay
13 (50%)
Fabius' German Ivory Bakelite W49 Hagenuk Kiel Desk phone. $40 plus shipping on eBay
5 (19.2%)
dsk's Light green (crystal mint?) Ericsson Ericofon picked up locally for $16 US.
6 (23.1%)
WEBellSystemChristian's early tenite Garnet Red AE 80 for $25 plus 9 in shipping
16 (61.5%)
compubit's Northern Electric Centurion Rotary Payphone, for $105 +$35 shipping
5 (19.2%)
Doug Rose's WECo 302 in Hammered Silver (Old Phone Works). $79.99 shipped on eBay
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Terry

AE_Collector

Let's get this months Find of the Month started with Pourme's new (or refurbished) AE 880 Speakerphone in the hard to find color of Gardenia White. Well, not all that hard to find in white but they are usually mistaken for ivory due to the typical discolouration of the white plastic.

Here is the CRPF discussion about Pourme's Find:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19361.0

$50 plus $22 shipping on eBay.

Terry

Fabius

German Ivory Bakelite W49 Hagenuk Kiel Desk Telephone. Found on ebay. Seller had the make offer option. It was listed for $50, I offered $35, he countered $40 and I accepted. Plus postage. Excellent condition. There is a small crack on the nut of the finger wheel and a hairline crack on the number card frame. Nice Hagenuk Kiel sticker on the back.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

I thought that said "Fuhrer" 112 on the fingerwheel but I misread it. The Fuhrer would probably be RNA "Ring No Answer" anyway.....

Nice phone!

Terry

dsk

I guess my little lot of 3 telephones are the only ones I will get in December, and I know some people loves the Cobra telephones

so I hereby nominate my lot: https://goo.gl/KWNQi9
about $ 48 for the 3 of them just picked up not far from home is a pretty good deal here.

The intercoms are not to common, and the green Cobra works like charm, I have cleaned it and adjusted the dial to 10.5 pps. And whats not so common for cobras; the sound is strong and clear! It buzz on incoming calls.

dsk

AE_Collector

dsk:

Any more info on the matched intercom set? Are they "common" phones with the dial replaced with the set of push buttons? Manufacturer?

We should determine whether you want to run the green EricoPhone or the Intercom pair in the contest. We try to avoid groupings as much as possible.

Everyone Else:

Any more Finds out there to add to the December "Find of the Month" contest? We're just around the corner from the "2017 Find of the YEAR" contest! John and the Elves have been working feverishly in the background preparing the annual contest so that it will be all set to go once the December 2017 contest winner has been determined.

Terry

dsk

The intercom set is made by Ericsson, Sweden. This is the matching pair, For me the table top intercom was worth it all, and the 2 wall intercom telephone, and the in good order Cobra was bonus for me.   for most collectors in a rotary forum, I guess the cobra with a rotary dial is the most valued.  If we split the 48 dollars i 3 we get $16 for each so if that is an option I guess a listing of the green cobra for $16 (or actually free since it was a bonus on my the phone I actually was looking for) would have chance to get some votes.

dsk

AE_Collector

That is pretty much my thoughts exactly...the intercom set is likely the most interesting and difficult to find but the Ericofon is likely more interesting to the masses (if the 25-30 who usually vote each month can be called a mass!) So let's run the Ericofon in the contest at $16. You could list the desk or the matched set of intercoms next month at $16 or $32 as well.

Maybe there will be some "Finds" under the Christmas tree to add to December's Contest. This doesn't make them "free" though....we need a price or at least a reasonable guess what Santa paid for it on eBay or an accounting of approximate material and labour costs by Christmas Elves if manufactured at the North Pole.

Terry

Haf

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 22, 2017, 01:07:15 PM
... an accounting of approximate material and labour costs by Christmas Elves if manufactured at the North Pole.

Terry

You can argue with dsk if the Elfes are paid in Canadian dollar or Norsk Kroner, both have teritorial claims :)
But here is one point for Canada: Canada Post has assigned postal code H0H 0H0 to the North Pole (referring to Santa's traditional exclamation of "Ho ho ho!")

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

AE_Collector

Yes I wasn't going to wade into the territorial battle!

The HO HO HO works well with our Postal Code System where it should really be H0H 0H0 (H's and Zeros) but close enough!

Speaking of the North Pole...

On a cruise ship in June 2014 at Spitsbergen, a territory(?) of Norway. The furthest North we have ever been and ironically the closest we would be to Canada on our Norwegian and Baltic Cruises that summer:

Terry

TelePlay

I'd like to nominate WEBellSystemChristian's recent eBay deal, a tenite Garnet Red AE 80 for $25 plus 9 in shipping. The listing/before images don't do the find justice but with a bit of elbow work by the magic man, Christian, this turned out to be a very nice phone for that price.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19460.0

And being the Christmas Season, a bit of red in the month seems to fit. It sure looks great after his restorative work . . .

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

Since it's a light month, (and I know I have no chance of winning anyway...), here's another entry:

For your consideration:

The Northern Electric Centurion Rotary Payphone, purchased for $105 (+$35 shipping). With a matching brown handset, this semi-postpay phone dials out properly and rings when called.  Upon removal of the stylish brown cover (so that if the cover is damaged, it can be easily replaced), we find the bright orange coloured fortress, protecting the internal elements. Internally a completely modularized payphone, designed for years and years of use and ease of maintenance.

Please note, that I only offered (and paid) $105, although the list price was $110.

Thank you for your consideration!

Jim

A discussion of the phone can be found at this link:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19488.0
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

So now we have a Northern Electric Centurion to add to the:
Automatic Electric 880,
German W49 Hagenuk Kiel,
Ericsson Ericofon,
& Automatic Electric 80.

Someone's gonna find a WECo to submit before tomorrow night.

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 30, 2017, 01:42:06 PM
So now we have a Northern Electric Centurion to add to the:
Automatic Electric 880,
German W49 Hagenuk Kiel,
Ericsson Ericofon,
& Automatic Electric 80.

Someone's gonna find a WECo to submit before tomorrow night.

Terry

I'll make Terry Happy, I'll nominate my Controversial  ??OPW?? WE Hammered Silver 302. Can't beat the price of 79.99 delivered.  Over 2/3 off the list price that OPW sells them for.  This was expertly done, polished F1, new cloth cords. Quality refurb. Really a sharp looking phone. I know its painted, but all metal 302s were painted .....Doug
Kidphone