News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Date-specific phone a bust, but not entirely.

Started by Greg G., March 08, 2017, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Much of the time (in my experience) the dates, if not matching, are usually in the general area.  The only date on this one that I wanted was the base, not even the network matched, which surprised me.  All is not lost though.  Turns out the shell date is one I needed for the 57-500 I bought recently, April 57.  Doesn't ring, dial sluggish (both fixable).  I do have a question about the straight handset cord.  It looks a bit hinky, I suspect this was made from a line cord?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

The wire colors are correct for a handset cord.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: Brinybay on March 08, 2017, 11:18:56 AM
Much of the time (in my experience) the dates, if not matching, are usually in the general area.  The only date on this one that I wanted was the base, not even the network matched, which surprised me.  All is not lost though.  Turns out the shell date is one I needed for the 57-500 I bought recently, April 57.  Doesn't ring, dial sluggish (both fixable).  I do have a question about the straight handset cord.  It looks a bit hinky, I suspect this was made from a line cord?

No, a line cord would have red, green, and yellow.
It appears to me that the cord only has three conductors, while a standard cord for a G-type handset uses four, of which the two for the receiver are 4 or 5 inches longer.  So, it appears that someone introduced a plastic splice to extend those conductors and provide a second white conductor.

jsowers

The metal hook restraint clamped onto the end of that cord looks more like something that would fit an AE handset. Also by 1957 most every WE phone came with a coil cord. The WE handset cords use the strain relief as the restraint with an indented ridge on the handset end.

You might want to replace that straight cord and re-use it on an early black AE80 or something like that.
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on March 08, 2017, 12:36:36 PM
The metal hook restraint clamped onto the end of that cord looks more like something that would fit an AE handset. Also by 1957 most every WE phone came with a coil cord. The WE handset cords use the strain relief as the restraint with an indented ridge on the handset end.

You might want to replace that straight cord and re-use it on an early black AE80 or something like that.

Actually, this one is a 53-56.  The 57 I was referring to is this one:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17643.msg182234#msg182234
Sorry for the confusion.

So all totalled, I will move this shell to the April 57 black 500.  This handset is in better shape than the one my other 11-53 dated phone, so I will use it on that one and but change out the cap for a 6-hole.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I must be getting old, I missed the obvious.  Doesn't ring because the gongs are missing.  Still fixable, but not sure I will bother.  I swapped the cover with the 4-57 500 that had a 67 cover.  Other non-dated parts (handset and screws) will be used for my other 11-53 500.  Also missed that it has a modular connection.  My theory is that someone "de-modularized" it at one point and used what parts they had on hand (cover and handset cord).
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on March 08, 2017, 12:36:36 PM

Here's what the restraint looks like.  No date, has a circle with a lightening bolt on one side.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Looks like a mirrored & rotated version of the Opel cars logo...

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 11, 2017, 02:30:30 PM
Looks like a mirrored & rotated version of the Opel cars logo...

Almost.  Closer look at the emblem on the cord shows that it's not a complete circle.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Quote from: Brinybay on March 11, 2017, 02:23:49 PM
I must be getting old, I missed the obvious.  Doesn't ring because the gongs are missing.  Still fixable, but not sure I will bother.  I swapped the cover with the 4-57 500 that had a 67 cover.  Other non-dated parts (handset and screws) will be used for my other 11-53 500.  Also missed that it has a modular connection.  My theory is that someone "de-modularized" it at one point and used what parts they had on hand (cover and handset cord).

It is also missing the striker! I dont think those are removable so it must have been cut off!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

I have several 3 conductor cords on WE phones that have that logo. It almost seems like they're factory, although I know they aren't.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 11, 2017, 02:40:06 PM
It is also missing the striker! I dont think those are removable so it must have been cut off!

I'm really glad it had a cover I needed for the other phone.  Parts phone, or at best a non-ringer.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 11, 2017, 02:44:55 PM
I have several 3 conductor cords on WE phones that have that logo. It almost seems like they're factory, although I know they aren't.

I googled around for a bit trying to find that logo associated with phones or phone parts, no luck.
- Mike Row
e