News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A phone for kyle.. his first at age nine

Started by Key2871, April 09, 2019, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

My wife informed me today that our eight year old (soon to be nine) is wanting an old phone... She said we'll you know who to talk to about that... Right?  He said, uhh no. She said your dad, he works on old phones all the time, he said really? (It's him, he's got severe ADHD) so he doesn't retain things well, we're told it will get better as he ages. Anyway back to the topic,  was wondering if anyone else has children interested in old phones. He saw an old novelty French fry phone at the drs office, and wanted to know if it worked, and said he wants a phone. So now my quest is finding a phone he can have for his own. So I'm thinking what do I have in my shed that I can give him.
My ten year old, wants to make one this summer with his dad, so I'm planning to make a payphone type of deal much like I did when I was fourteen.  Using a old tackle box and some phone parts.

But I guess it's true, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree..
In my case the handset doesn't fall far from the cradle.
So as I get the chance, I'm going to "build" a phone for Kyle.
I'd love to hear from parents who have kids interested in old phones. More to come, with pictures in the near future.
He's excited to get started, as you can see. He can't wait to get started!
KEN

RB

My 2, in their 30's now, could not be less interested... :(
hopin for a second chance with Grand kids, now 2

Key2871

Oh well, I'm surprised myself, because they are both heavy into computers and games they play on them.
But both my boys are very mechanical inclined, the oldest wants to design cars when he's older.
Well hopefully your grandkids will get the bug.
KEN

HarrySmith

Thats great to hear. I love hearing about younger kids getting interested, it will keep our passion going. I would suggest making sure you give hime something tough like a 500 so it will survive some abuse! Keep us updated on the progress.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Ken  ....    Good for you, get him involved.   Here's an idea you might want to try.

Take a Western 302 apart.   Take out the hook switch, feet off, condenser out, induction coil out, ringer out.     Take the F-1 handset apart, and put a label on each piece as to what it is, i.e., "101A Induction Coil"; "B1A Ringer", etc., etc.      Then write out a detailed set of instructions to Kyle, telling him how to put the entire telephone back together.      I'll be willing to bet on the intensity in those eyes of his, that he can do it.     Even if you have to "drop" a few pointers along the way, he'll be so happy with himself, and his Dad.

I've often thought the clubs could do something like that with old 302's and sell them to people as Christmas presents for young people.      Nicely boxed, with Styrofoam compartments inside the box to hold the parts, all labeled with a detailed set of instructions on how to put the sets together.       That type of thing would by itself, generate interest in the old telephones amongst young people.

Ok, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Jeff Lamb 

FABphones

In our house, it's a fascination with turning the dials. As soon as a new one turns up, the eyes light up and I can see fingers edging towards the dial, with a 'May I'? Some days it's a case of just HAVING to turn every dial and press every keypad on every phone. The phones enjoy it, it's why they were made. ;D

Under supervision, that's fine by me. But touch those phones when I'm not there.......
A few weeks back a new mate came over and walked into the room where the phones are. An older mate shouted 'Don't touch the phones!' No prompting. Got 'em trained see. Bless.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Jeff, if I had a 302, that would be a great choice.. but I don't.
I have a princess, and I have a 2564 with lots of buttons, I'm leaning towards the 2564, because I wanted to keep the princess set nice. I might still have a housing for another, I'll have to look. But at least for now he could use the tougher business set, and have fun with it. If he beats it, oh well.
I can probably get another few types in a month or two I'll see what happens. But I can put a battery inside so he can push the buttons and hear the tones of the dial, stuff like that. He's still a bit on the immature side because he was six weeks early, so the nurses told us even though he's say eight, his brain is still younger, like a three year old.
So I'm hesitant to give him a nicer phone right now.
By I was happy to see they both have interests in old phones, radios stuff like that.
Fab, I would have a cow if my collection got messed with if I wasn't home. So glad you have guidelines established early on.
KEN

RotarDad

That's great Ken!  Anything to bring you time with your kids working together is awesome.  I do like Jeff's concept of trying to build in learning about how the phone works as well..   I used my Panasonic 616 as an intercom and had my kids' rooms each with their own rotary phone (2 princess, and a 554), and that was a lot of fun for a little while....
Paul

Babybearjs

hopefully, you'll be able to encourage him to get into electronics later in life... telephones are just 1 step to that field!
John

Key2871

Agreed, I also like Jeff's idea, because it's easy to remove parts from a 300 set, and I agree it's just a start with electronics.
It's just cool for me to have a couple boys who are interested in phone's. And the intercom system I have set up with my desk in the shed, and the house are the best I can do at this point. I'd live to have a Panasonic, other system to just have in the house for them. But that's not an option right now.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Here is a 1947 stop action animation film of a 302 being assembled.
This is a bell system film for classrooms.
"Just Imagine"

https://archive.org/details/JustImag1947

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Very cool, thanks, Jim I'll show him tomorrow after school I'm sure he and his brother will get a kick out of that.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on April 10, 2019, 08:52:57 PM
Very cool, thanks, Jim I'll show him tomorrow after school I'm sure he and his brother will get a kick out of that.
I watched it after I posted the link.

My 18yo said, I remember that, and then you let us take apart telephones.
I showed her and a friend the video when they were in 1-2  grade. They wanted to take apart a 302. Instead I let them take apart a 500 and 2500 set.I had a toner between the sets for talk battery*. as they disconnected things we tested the phones, and then reconnected the wire. then the next component.

Your post made me locate the video.
The video reminded my daughter of a phone moment that I hadn't thought about for a long time
Good memories,
Jim
*>>>Edit<  I used an older toner with a talk position, The newer toners set to continuity work for talk battery< Edit<<<
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Indeed. I'm looking forward to starting this journey with both my boys. I'm starting with a 2702, and I'm going to switch the dial because I don't want that lighted dial to get damaged.
A few years ago they wanted to play with a couple 2564s I had, so I made up a cord so each phone could plug in put a battery in one set, so when they were off hook they could talk to each other. I was concerned about the tones from the dials were too loud, so I pulled a wire on each disabling the dials. But there older now, and hopefully they won't hurt their ears with the tones. Quite loud on the other end, but I'll play that by ear, no pun intended.
Thanks again for the video lead.
KEN

HowardPgh

Howard