"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Mechanism_What kind is this?

Started by ExNihilo, July 23, 2013, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum!
I would normally give a warning here about Phonitis but since you state you already have a "few" phones I realize it is too late.
Your few phones will quickly multiply, just like Tribbles!!Next a color 302 or maybe a Western Electric model, maybe a wall phone, how about some signs!! It goes on & on, this is a progressive incurable disease ;D
There is a great bunch of guys here with unlimited knowledge who are all ready & willing to help, you will enjoy it here :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ExNihilo

Thanks Harry,

I got the tribble refrence right away! Hahaha!

Now, While I have you "On the line" so-to-speak, hear is one of the Galions. I hope there are enough pictures for you to determine if it will ever ring. If so, How do I make it do so.

The only thing I don't like about the Galions is that their handset cord is very short.

< edit 03-20-22 : externally linked images attached >

Dennis Markham

That ringer is a "frequency ringer".  According to the bottom of the phone it's tuned to 66 2/3 cycles.  One needs a 20Hz ringer for today's phones.  Some on the forum have had luck tweaking these ringers to work somewhat.  To obtain a standard, "loud" ring, you'll need to find a "straight line" ringer or one that is closer to 20hz.  We see a lot of frequency ringers on the Galions due I think in most part because they were used by smaller Independent companies in rural areas where each home had selective ringing.  Those much more expert than I can expound more on that theory.  There's been a lot written about that on the forum in the past.  Perhaps a search of "selective ringing" or "frequency ringers" will reveal those posts.

By the way, Welcome to the Forum!

Added Info:  Is that a dial screw I see stuck to the magnet of the ringer?  Looks like a dial screw is missing.

G-Man

It very well could have been a Bell System telephone at some point in its life.

Western Electric sold 302 telephones to the military during WWII. The primary differences were that the cords had grommets and a moisture-proofing compound (M.F.P.) was applied to the terminals and components. They were designated as D-173487.

Immediately after the war, because of the acute shortages, the Bell System repurchased them from the military and used them for their own subscribers. There are Bell System Practices in the TCI Library covering this.

When supplied to the military they would have been equipped with either Automatic Electric or Telephonic dials or without them if intended for manual service.

In this case I suspect that it was a manual instrument that may have seen Bell System service which later ended up in private hands.

They apparently added the dial because as has already been pointed out the wires are dressed incorrectly, there is only one screw retaining it and there is no sign of a M.F.P.  protective coating having been applied to it.

paul-f

Trusting the markings on the bottom of North sets is generally risky, as the ringers were often changed during the set's lifetime.

In this case, the ringer appears to be a 66 2/3 Hz model.  You can check it by comparing the markigns on the ringer with those in the chart here:

http://www.paul-f.com/NorthRingers.html

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line