News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

slight static on a WE 302

Started by Robert63, August 07, 2013, 03:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert63

I just got a WE 302 (12/1950). All parts are 1950 or IV 50, the handset and casing are in great condition (no bad starches or chip or cracks) a nice phone. I checked it out before I get started with the cleaning and renovation and it checks out perfect excepts there is a slight static on the line. I did a little trouble shooting and when I replaced the F1 transmitter element (the one you talk into) from my 1952 WE 354, the static was gone. I would love to keep what appears to be the original transmitter element, thus any help or recommendation on what I can do to fix this problem would be awesome.

HarrySmith

Slam the transmitter down on a flat surface. This will loosen up the carbon granules inside.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Robert:

Harry's advice is actually good.  Don't slm it to the point of denting it or the table, by all means, but do give it a good rap.  The carbon granuals in the transmitter fuse together and are prone to packing together after years of use.  Normally, just using the phone and the vibrations the transmitter gets from physically being hung up and having the handset occasionally dropped on the floor is enough to keep the granuals loose.

If a good rap on the table does not solve the problem, you might need a new transmitter, but by all means try it first.  You can't go wrong.
-Bill G