News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 21 - Rauland Amplicall office intercom

Started by bingster, January 27, 2009, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I've always loved these.  It's the Rauland Amplicall office intercom.  Long a staple of 1940s and '50s executive desks, these were used for inter-office communication.  One of these would look swell on anybody's desk today, and would no doubt still impress visitors.  This particular example is in drop-dead gorgeous condition in it's shiny brown bakelite.

What will it bring, gang?  Let's hear your guesses before the auction's final day!  The reserve (whatever it is) has no bearing on our contest.  We're guessing the highest bid, whether or not the reserve is met at that bid.

S C O R E B O A R D
$50 - mienaichizu (-65.63)
$75 - McHeath (40.63)
$100 - HobieSport (-15.63)
$110 - Bill Cahill (-5.63)
Sold for $115.63
$137.56 - Dennis Markham (Over)
$180 - Steve (Over)
$245 - Dan/Panther (Over)
$250 - Perry (Over)
$289 - Sargeguy (Over)
$320 - bingster (Over)
$375 - DanĀ²  (Over)
$400 - Mark Stevens (Over)
$500 - BDM (Over)
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

By Jove that is truly beautiful.  I'll start by guessing $1,800.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

While I agree this is truly a nice intercom, intercoms don't seem to sell well on ebay.
My guess would be  110.00.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

I'm all over the board on these guesses.......here's another low one...
$137.56

Perry

OK, I'll join in this one, even though I have no idea what that thing is worth. Wouldn't you need more than one unit to actually use it as an intercom?

I'll guess $250.00

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Quote from: Perry on January 27, 2009, 02:46:18 PMWouldn't you need more than one unit to actually use it as an intercom?

Yup. They had units that were almost identical to this master unit, but were missing the handset, and also small similarly styled units that had only a volume knob and a talk key on the front.  You'd need a master unit and at least one of the others plus many yards of multi-conductor cord and one heck of a connection diagram (which I have if anybody wants it).
= DARRIN =

Steve

Looks like it would display well.  $180.00
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

$75 big ones, cash American.  I'm going uber lowball as, while it's purty as all get out, it's weird and needs to find the right owner to really find love. 

Sargeguy

$289-I think the reserve will put a wet blanket on bidding
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

The sad part is, I will almost bet the farm it gets broken during shipping.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mark Stevens

That is a cool intercom!  Y'all are placing some crazy-high bids, probably because you know more about them than I do...I'll say $400.