News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does this part do?

Started by troydog, September 09, 2011, 05:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troydog

Ok so cleaning the F1 handset and seen a odd part inside it looking on line no info what it does.

It is market we 129f cond 40. It is in the mouth part between screws or wires black and red. Metal small with a part inside it.  I can post a photo if needed.

edit to add photo I have a part off to clean it so took a fast photo

dsk

Just a guess:
A noise canselling capacitor, for eliminating of disturbing radio signals.

dsk

troydog

I removed it for this reason.

With the part installed as is I can not be hared at all by the other person. Without the part it works like it should both hear and can be heard by the other person.

A litte more info. With the part installed the receiver will work with out the mic installed dial tone is heard. Take it out works like it should no dial tone with out the mic installed into the handset.

I have not a clue what this thing was for at all. Could this phone have been set up to only listing to calls and not talk on?

I even put it into the other 302 I have same thing happen.

rdelius

If this capacator is shorted or leaky, it will do what you noticed. You do not need it unless you live close to a AM radio transmitter.
Robby

JorgeAmely

Quote from: rdelius on September 09, 2011, 02:00:01 PM
If this capacator is shorted or leaky, it will do what you noticed. You do not need it unless you live close to a AM radio transmitter.
Robby

Robby: These caps are not encased in a container or covered by plastic like today's counterparts, so most likely humidity, dust, cleaners, etc., got in between the plates and it no longer works as intended.
Jorge

troydog

I had to open it. lol It was lets say odd.  2 long strips of metal about 1 inch wide and long about 2 feet. With what looked to be clear tape to keep them apart. This was coated with a wax then wonded thight between the metal body.

Adam

Quote from: troydog on September 09, 2011, 05:04:35 PM
2 long strips of metal about 1 inch wide and long about 2 feet. With what looked to be clear tape to keep them apart.

That's the definition of a capacitor.  From wikipedia:

Capacitors used as parts of electrical systems, for example, consist of metal foils separated by a layer of insulating film.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

rdelius

I have found through the years as a radio broadcast engineer and my telephone experience that capacitors seem to be the most cause of failures.WE seems to have made excellent parts though
Robby

old_stuff_hound

129F Cond, I 40 -- 129(most certainly micro-)farad condenser (aka capacitor), 1st quarter 1940.

I thought I read on this board somewhere that it was to reduce receiver pop from dialing, etc. And yes, Troydog, it sounds like yours had failed....

Ok, found the thread I was remembering:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

Bill

According to the TCI document repository, the Type 129 condensor is 0.006 microfarads.

Bill

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Bill on September 10, 2011, 10:27:47 AM
According to the TCI document repository, the Type 129 condensor is 0.006 microfarads.

Bill

Oh well, good guess anyway! ;-)

troydog

Now I wished it did work but will change the ae dial soon anyway. But man the click sound is loud about like a trimline in this phone. So wonder if they added these to phones that had a miss matched dial in the day.

GG

Loud dial pulse clicks in the receiver occur when the dial is mis-wired to the phone, such that there is not an off-normal contact closing to shunt the receiver during dialing.  This is simple to fix by looking at appropriate wiring diagrams.  And it should be fixed to avoid damage to receiver elements due to acoustic shock (not to mention your ears, oww!).

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: GG on September 12, 2011, 02:09:39 AM

Loud dial pulse clicks in the receiver occur when the dial is mis-wired to the phone, such that there is not an off-normal contact closing to shunt the receiver during dialing.  This is simple to fix by looking at appropriate wiring diagrams.  And it should be fixed to avoid damage to receiver elements due to acoustic shock (not to mention your ears, oww!).

My Galion (with AE dial) clicks loudly through the receiver. I've checked & rechecked the wiring and don't find anything wrong. I found a document on here about how to check the contacts on a WE dial to make sure they make & break in the correct order, but haven't found an analogous for an AE dial. Any pointers?

Cheers!

EDIT: for clarification, it clicks when the dial just comes off & is about to return to stop. The dial pulses themselves do not cause a click....

LarryInMichigan

The AE dials shunt both the transmitter and receiver while dialing.  It may be that the receiver shunt is opening a bit prematurely.

Larry