News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cracked case - some advice please

Started by winkydink, October 06, 2011, 06:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

GPO- That's a different version; the one I'm thinking about looks like the GPO/BT issued DTMF phones, close enough that you might wonder.  If I'm not mistaken, has modern lettering on the dial buttons (...MNO, PQRS, TUV, WXYZ).

oldphonelover

Just to share my experience with cracks and broken corners...

For the crack I too used super clue on both sides of the crack and let it dry all the way and then ran a paint strip of black nail polish down the crack a good amount to fill it then when completely dried like the next day another layer of super glue to lock it all in. Then I used sanding blocks from sally's beauty supply which are great for bending for curved area and hard to get at spots. I sanded with the blocks and finished with a buffing block [normally used for nails] and it left a perfect match with the rest and you can't even see it now.

I also used the same method for a cracked off corner as this blog did...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=222.0

But I also covered the final coat with black polish and then another coat of the nail filler. Again using the sanding and buffing blocks from sally's [beauty supply store] I made a perfect match and you would never know there was a scratch or broken corners on it. You can even make new screw holes with that stuff. In fact as a FYI it was originally developed by a dentist to fill teeth. LOL kinda funny how that did a full circle!

Good luck
Smiles
Ron

winkydink

Quote from: oldphonelover on October 30, 2011, 02:44:15 AM
Just to share my experience with cracks and broken corners...

For the crack I too used super clue on both sides of the crack and let it dry all the way and then ran a paint strip of black nail polish down the crack a good amount to fill it then when completely dried like the next day another layer of super glue to lock it all in. Then I used sanding blocks from sally's beauty supply which are great for bending for curved area and hard to get at spots. I sanded with the blocks and finished with a buffing block [normally used for nails] and it left a perfect match with the rest and you can't even see it now.

Good luck
Smiles
Ron

Black nail polish.... That sounds very interesting, and also very practical.  I am definitely going to try this, especially on the shell with the crack in the back.  I am betting that I can make the phone present more than "well". 

I will let you know how I made out.

Jim

oldphonelover

Yes it worked well and nail file blocks work great for the fine to buffing as they are made very very fine for nails. It worked well for my phones... layering is the key to fill over the amount needed and then sand/file back to even out. Good luck, look forward to seeing the pictures....

Smiles
Ron