News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 find

Started by Witty, November 20, 2021, 11:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I saw this model 500 in a local flea market several weeks ago. It was marked 6/52 on the bottom but had a modular connection in the back. I was suspicious so I passed on it. I went back this week, it was still there so I took a chance and bought it.

I found the inside parts were all dated the same, including the dial. The housing was updated to a 59 dated case with the modular opening, and a modular connector was added. I'm curious if it's possible to find an original housing or not, or if worth buying another 500 with an earlier housing closer to what this one would have had, and what type line cord would work with it.

This is my first venture into model 500 units, with the exception of a 5302 and an early red unit I bought many years ago. So I need to read up on the technology behind these.

The handset caps are frozen tight. I have both WD-40 and liquid wrench and wondered which you think would work best. Am also curious if the handset cord is right for this unit.

Thanks for any input. I will post some pics after cleaning it up.
Ken

Witty

More pics. The paper label fell off an inside unit.
Ken

allnumbedup

Your phone has several really nice features I associate with older WE 500's besides the dates.

The cover for the hookswitch stack is black and the top of the network is black with no terminal labels on the side, it has a C2A instead of C4A ringer and a 7A instead of 7C dial, and this dial looks to be mounted on a three legged bracket. The paper label was probably installed on the network during an upgrade but the blank side to the network is an older feature too.  The modular cord jack for the station cord would not have come on either a 1952 or 1959 phone so I believe it was probably cut out around the original mousehole in the back. The G1 handset is Bakelite but the caps are probably ABS plastic if they are stuck.  Tricks to loosen are gentle heat gun or hairdryer to expand the caps or Dw40 followed by turning gently without metal tools to loosen the threads.  I have had 100% luck with heat. The handset if original to 1952 probably has a built-in handset cord restraint and a near solid core.

The handset cord looks hardwired but has smaller curls that would be more like 1960's. I think straight cords were standard in 1952 but curled ones available by 1954. In any case, the metal restraint hook on the handset cord at the base should have two numbers which are the date if it is a WE cord.  The plastic part up by the handset should be stubby and squared off if the cord is the older type.

It would be pretty easy to find a replacement soft plastic case in black, the closer to 1950 when this model launched-the harder to find a dated one.  Maybe you will find one with bakelite handset caps too. The one thing I would be sure to do in restoring this phone is get black hookswitch plungers as I believe it would have come with these.

Here is the extremely useful timeline link by Daniel Zuperdee:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23229.msg233242
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Witty

allnumbedup,

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful. I checked the restraint hook at the base and it's marked 6 2 on the bottom, and 4C III on the top.
The mouse hole was cut out from an oval top to a square top to fit the modular jack. That's too bad. The plungers are black so I can use them.

I'll try looking for an earlier handset cord and let you know what elements are in the handset.

Thanks again!
Ken