News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No Name alarm clock from Kmart

Started by ....., April 19, 2017, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked this No Name alarm clock up today at a thrift store. It has a second hand and keeps perfect time. It doesn't have a brand name, but it still has it's original Kmart Canada price tag on it. Kmart hasn't been in Canada since 1998. Anybody know who made this clock or it's model name?

Fabius

Nice looking clock. Maybe the movement is marked or somewhere on the inside the case. Looks like a metal case? I'd say 1970s?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

It is metal, I wonder if there is a date code in this number?

TelePlay

The maker's mark may be the shape within the green box.

What does it say on the bottom (in the red box)? Looks like the last  two words are "In China."

Good eye John,

I took an up close picture and it does say "Made In China" and has Chinese writing too, never noticed that. I took the back off and nothing there with any markings. Must be an early Made in China because it is well built. Anything that comes out of China today is junk.

Ktownphoneco

As Doug said, John you have a good eye.     The figures to the left of "Made in China" appear to be letters of the Chinese alphabet, or whatever they call it.    It looks as if the clock was made in Shangai.
Doug, this on-line article might help explain the history of your Kmart clock.    The article makes reference to the "Diamond Brand" as a sort of trade mark.
Link :   http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/96070-shine-on-you-crazy-diamond/

Jeff

Very interesting Jeff, thanks for that info. I did a search for the Diamond logo and found a couple more pictures of the Diamond alarm clocks.

Fabius

Knowing the brand makes the clock more interesting.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

Attractive clock!  I've never seen a mechanism with the alarm setting in a small window like that.  When I first saw it, I thought it might be electric with the power fail flag.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke