News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

172C back boards

Started by Vern P, December 11, 2010, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

From the ATCA list, some info I wanted to share hear.

The 172C is the plastice back board for mounting 554 and other wall phones.

From the Jan. 1968 BSP: 
172C were made in the colors of Black-3, Ivory-50, Green-51, Red-53, Yellow-56, White-58, Pink-59, Beige-60, Gray-61 and Turquoise-64.

The 182B were in the same colors, with Blue-62 added.

The Feb. 1981 BSP list the 172C as MD (no longer made), but the 191C was added.

More info on the 172C, 182B, and 191C.  The 172C made by WE is 10 X 5 5/8. The one made by Suttle (marked as SE 172C) is 10 X 5 7/8.   The 182B is 10 X 5 5/8, with a 3 X 2 5/8 hole.  The 191C is 10 1/2 X 5 5/8, with a 4 3/8 X 3 hole to snap over the 630A4 mod wall plate.

Amoung the uses listed for these is to cover the wall were a 554 was re-moved, and a smaller phone was mounted ie: 1554,2554 or Trimline.

It was also noted that the Suttle was made to mount the AE 90 and SC 1553.

I don't have any Suttle's in 182B or 191C, so I don't know if they were made or not, but I would think so.

I have a set of 172C, but am missing a Blue-62. So I use a 182B. I was reminded not to give up on the Blue 172C, as it could have been made or also painted.  My Turquoise  is a painted one.

With that in mind, does any one have a Blue-62 172C ? For sale or not. I would like to get one, also a Turquoise-64.

Before the 172C, was the 172"B" witch are made of wood and painted to match the phone.  I am looking for these in Ivory, Yellow, Dk. Beige and Dk. Blue.

Any one have any of these to put under my Christmas tree ???

YES I am still looking for an WE 1554 in Ivory, body only is OK too.

Vern P

PS I don't know it all or clame too. Just wanted to pass this info on to the forum.   

Phonesrfun

Vern:

I only wish I could be your Santa.  You have posted some great information.  I hope someone can come through for you.  Merry Christmas, anyway!

I haven't been to SLC for a long time, and my sons are wanting me to come this summer.  I need to save up some cash before coming and hopefully, I can raid your stash.

-Bill
-Bill G

stopthemachine

I only have one phone with a 172C back board--and surprisingly, it's on my pink 554, which would seem less common.  Were these often-times just discarded?  I don't find many of these online, it seems.

Vern P

I have never worked for the telephone Co., so I can't say first hand.  But I have talked with other that have. 1 say's that he never saw these, and but another say's that he did use a few, but not many.  In a BSP it states (as I remember) the back borad was to be used, when no solid mounting could be found, or to cover over damage to the wall, from when the other telephone was removed.

Yes I would agree that they were not saved on removel.

As for mine, I have found them in shops, on eBay and from other collectors.

YES I am still looking for these, as Santa didn't bring me any telephone stuff.  Yes my birthday is comeing up, but not until May.

On the "trade table" are some soft 500's and 554's, plus a lot of other stuff.

Vern P

Dennis Markham

Stopthemachine, I was lucky enough to get a pink 172C still in the original box (along with the 554).  It's never been used and still wrapped in a protective cloth.  It can be seen here.  The only other colors I have are Black & Red.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=536.msg5802#msg5802