News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

bought out a collection, found something never seen before.

Started by dhilarious, July 10, 2012, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilarious

Ok, anyone know what this is?  Looks like a cash register, but has no buttons for a cash register.  Looks like a phone but has no dial for the phone.  

On the back it says "NATIONAL".

Payphone?  Junk?  Very confused.  Its heavy if that matters.

I think I got one of everything in this collection I just received.

LarryInMichigan

I have seen those from time to time.  They were used in retail stores to validate credit cards.  Someone posted information about them on here a while back.

Larry

HarrySmith

Correct, The name National is for NCR, National Cash Register. From what I remember they used WE and Kellogg phones.
Let's see the rest of the collection!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dhilarious

there is just too much stuff.  tons of stromberg stuff, probably 100 subset/ringers, I think I have a few hundred never open bags of cords, lots of fatboy phones and about 4 or 5 multiline phones and tons of parts.  also some phone that looks like a candlestick receiver connected to a subset.

Try to get pics at somepoint.

LarryInMichigan

We are anxious to see what you have.  You may be sitting on a treasure chest.

Larry

poplar1

Wow! Didn't you say you had already found 200+ phones in the last month? You seem to be attracting them!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dhilarious

Quote from: poplar1 on July 10, 2012, 07:01:25 PM
Wow! Didn't you say you had already found 200+ phones in the last month? You seem to be attracting them!

phones and featherweight sewing machines, LOL.

dhilarious

I think I got every subset known to man kind in this collection too.  Some of them have the stromberg folded corners which is cool.  Some are very big, some smaller. 

paul-f

Quote from: dhilarious on July 10, 2012, 05:14:50 PM
Ok, anyone know what this is?  Looks like a cash register, but has no buttons for a cash register.  Looks like a phone but has no dial for the phone.  

On the back it says "NATIONAL".

Payphone?  Junk?  Very confused.  Its heavy if that matters.

Some of us are even old enough to remember when these were in use in the stores.  There must have been millions of them in use.

After years of seeing them in antique stores with high prices, and finding a few at yard sale prices, I did some research.

The JKL Museum has accumulated some stunning examples.

Check out this page:
   http://www.paul-f.com/NCRcredit.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dhilarious

I found your page on google earlier today and that restored red one on the bottom of the page is amazing.  Any idea how much an unrestored one is worth?

paul-f

I'm not aware that there are enough collectors out there to constitute a market.  Any sale has a bit of luck in it, as you have to find an interested buyer.

Since ther don't seem to be collectors beating the bushes for them, I'd guess getting more than about $20 may be a challenge.  Other opinions are welcome.

If you have to mail it, the postage is a real buzz killer.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dhilarious

if its not worth anything I will do a custom restore to it like I do with my phones and sewing machines.  I did not want to touch this because I thought it may be rare or special.

I think it looks cool.